Denafrips Pontus *15th* ?

Hi guys, 

I'm confused (doesn't take a lot 🤔)

I ordered a new Pontus 12th-1 direct from Vinshine about 8/9 days ago; it was delivered this morning, but, it wasn't a Pontus 12th-1 I unboxed - it was a Pontus 15th????

I had no idea, and haven't come across, or read anything that there was a new version coming.

I've emailed Vinshine, but with the time difference, they're probably all tucked up in bed right now in Singapore; while I wait for a response, does anyone else have a clue about this "15th" version?

I'd post a picture of the front panel, but I have no idea how to upload photos on A'gon

Thanks for reading 👍

128x128painter24

This whole thing how they’ve handled the launch of the 15th models to how they’ve treated/ghosted Alvin at Vinshine after being such a good ambassador for the Denafrips brand is an utter embarrassment IMO and is making them look like a completely mismanaged company.  By contrast look how LAiV, a brand new company, is handling the launch of their highly-regarded Harmony DAC on all levels.  Frankly I’d look at their DAC before anything at Denafrips right now with their multiple unforced fumbles and seemingly endless/confusing product upgrades.  Nice job Denafrips!

I agree with everything you've said there. It's a sorry state of affairs at Denafrips right now.

I had been looking at the Pontus 12th-1 but am now going to wait til things shake out. In the meantime, I’m trying to understand the current state of affairs, and the post from @painter24 with Denafrips EU email is helpful (but confusing).

From the Denafrips website, the "Pontus 15th" does indeed look like Venus 12th. In fact, compare these two images of the recent Pontus generations:

1. Pontus 15th (Denafrips website) vs Pontus 12th (online image). If you zoom in on the P-15th you’ll see "FVenus 12th" etched onto the board.

2. Now look at the Venus II 12th-1 (Denafrips website). There are design differences with the P-15th...and the etching on the board says "FVenus II".

Is it that Denafrips is importing older Venus tech into the Pontus line? If so, this may explain the lower relative cost of the Pontus 15th vs the Venus II 12th-1. The same strategy might be used for the Enyo and Ares products. If this is the case, then the Pontus 12th-1 that I was planning on buying (now dubbed "Ares 15th") could be more affordable now ($1200 vs $1800). Or the "Venus" line is now more in reach than before (Pontus 15th).

But I won’t be buying anything from Denafrips until they clarify things.

Well spotted; that's really interesting, and hence why Denafrips are saying for example the Pontus 15th is on the same level as the Venus, or words to this affect.

But I agree, they really need to clarify what is going on

What we all thought has been officially announced by Alvin, please see below;

https://youtu.be/ksjgWvRLor0?si=zGpdQFU3lbkUjCQU