Did Amir Change Your Mind About Anything?

It’s easy to make snide remarks like “yes- I do the opposite of what he says.”  And in some respects I agree, but if you do that, this is just going to be taken down. So I’m asking a serious question. Has ASR actually changed your opinion on anything?  For me, I would say 2 things. I am a conservatory-trained musician and I do trust my ears. But ASR has reminded me to double check my opinions on a piece of gear to make sure I’m not imagining improvements. Not to get into double blind testing, but just to keep in mind that the brain can be fooled and make doubly sure that I’m hearing what I think I’m hearing. The second is power conditioning. I went from an expensive box back to my wiremold and I really don’t think I can hear a difference. I think that now that I understand the engineering behind AC use in an audio component, I am not convinced that power conditioning affects the component output. I think. 
So please resist the urge to pile on. I think this could be a worthwhile discussion if that’s possible anymore. I hope it is. 

chayro

hilde45

Claims here that he is a "clown" or some kind of Svengali just betray dogmatism and intolerance.

It’s impossible to like everyone and Amir sure seems like a clown to me. I think I’m not alone in forming that impression of him.

He is a serious person with a point of view. Deal with it.

He doesn’t seem serious to me and I don’t have to deal with him or any of his self-serving, self-promoting YouTube brethren.

My point was: do you trust your ears or do you trust a measuring device?  Not saying either is right or wrong.  I’m an engineer and a musician (although the only thing I have played the last few decades is my stereo).  So I do a mix of both myself.  But this guy seems to think he can measure everything with an analyzer.  Reminds me of someone with a hammer.  To that person with a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

For me measurements are only 10% of what I use to evaluate a hi-fi purchase. It's the same as 0-60 times for evaluating an automobile purchase. The 0-60 times tell you nothing about how it gets those times. Is it a screaming small bore motor with very peaky power or a huge big block that just muscles it's way to the same time? Hearing and feeling is more important than a raw measurement. Guys like Amir have no room for the art of audio reproduction.

I have made decisions based on their gear measurements. Usually, eliminating gear I had some interest in.

I was about to buy the Okto DAC8 based on their favorable comments on it, instead I decided to get the worst measuring Schitt Yggi+ (Less is More) of the 3 Yggi+'s. Very happy with that move, though the Okto DAC8 had the better connectivity for my needs.

I take all opinions and feedback and marinade it in the brain and then execute some plan. Amir is another data point.

Not that I am aware of.  That’s not a swipe.  I just really don’t get why people are so infatuated with him.   I guess he gets people to talk about him so he is successful there. More power to him!