Differences between Harbeth, Spendor, Graham, etc. ?

This is perhaps a foolish question, given the subjective nature of this hobby, but is there any consensus regarding differences between the above brands? I’m interested in their "traditional" or "vintage" lines, not the more modern-voiced models.

For example, I’ve read that the Spendor Classic series speakers are, overall, warmer/darker than Harbeths and offer a bit more punch in the bass. If this is true, I would lean toward the former.

stuartk

I suppose that tendency for sibilance in the upper mids is another way of describing what I heard in the 30.2’s (and also in some 40.2’s I’ve heard in a friend’s system). But sibilance is too hard a word, I think. A shade of sibilance, No such thing in the Classic series Spendors I’ve heard ( 3/5 - those before the R2 series I think - , SP 2/3R2, Classic 100) at all, though.

Interesting that Graham is drier than Harbeth. Not my cup of tea, then (most probably).

@donquichotte 

I suppose that tendency for sibilance in the upper mids is another way of describing what I heard in the 30.2’s 

Thanks for your input. I'm inclined to try Spendor Classics first. 

@larryi and @donquichotte

I have the HARBETH 30.2XD’s too. There is not one iota of sibilants or”edge” or insert your own like adjectives whatever,…. in my speakers nor in my system as a whole .Frankly it is a ultra silky smooth audio performance that is clear and unambiguous. My “A” system is posted on AGON fwiw.

@larryi

I don’t doubt that your system experiences some sibilants , but that sibilant is your bespoke wart likely introduced by some link in your bespoke system ,

It is flatly dead wrong to engender the same adverse experience to the HARBETH brand and speaker model as a whole Full stop.

but that is your bespoke wart likely introduced by some link in yiurvsystem

???? 

I hear that slight edge with some very good and smooth tube amplification.  It is NOT in the least a disqualifying property; I like very much most of the Harbeth line.  I don’t know of any speaker that is perfect in every way, so I mentioned what I heard as a mild weak point.  It may be a matter of a tradeoff—if that slight peak is tamed, something might be lost in terms of sense of speed and dynamics, for example; I don’t really know.  For conventional box speakers, Harbeths, Spendors, Grahams, ProAc, and Audio Notes are among my favorites.