Differences between Harbeth, Spendor, Graham, etc. ?

This is perhaps a foolish question, given the subjective nature of this hobby, but is there any consensus regarding differences between the above brands? I’m interested in their "traditional" or "vintage" lines, not the more modern-voiced models.

For example, I’ve read that the Spendor Classic series speakers are, overall, warmer/darker than Harbeths and offer a bit more punch in the bass. If this is true, I would lean toward the former.

stuartk

@stuartk 

i am so very happy with the JA Pulsars. The sound out of these speakers is pure heaven.  Based on what I am hearing the Hegel is a great match. So smoooooth and rich sounding. To me not harsh in the least, but that is me. You can really appreciate each note the musicians are playing and how the whole composition comes together.  Voices are beautiful maybe not as glorious as Harbeth but just plain beautiful all the same. Do they disappear well if you close your eyes it is easy to imagine that the music is just emanating from open space.  The other thing it is just so enjoyable to sit and take it in.  Tom

@tjraubacher 

Based on what I am hearing the Hegel is a great match. So smoooooth and rich sounding.

Maybe I'd like the Pulsars, after all.

You are using the Hegel's internal DAC? 

@stuartk I'm very sensitive to brightness too, some speakers even making my ears ring after listening. The C7 brings me very close to that liveliness and detail without crossing over the edge. Something here is nicely done. If you want deep bass without a sub be prepared to add another few thousand in my experience.

Best of luck please share what you land on!

@bjesien 

The C7 brings me very close to that liveliness and detail without crossing over the edge.

Good to know!