Dirac Live Calibration

I tried this topic out in Tech Talk with no luck, so I thought I'd give it shot here.

I was just wondering if any of you have used online services such as this with good results?  https://www.diraclivecalibration.com/ 

Many of you here are very capable of setting things up like this on your own, but for us technically challenge, I was wondering if this might be a good way to go.

My thoughts would be to see if this could help me in first in setting up my 2-channel speakers, then maybe again if I decide to add a pair of subwoofers somewhere down the road?

Appreciate your input!

128x128navyachts

Absolutely, Dirac live is the easiest of all the room control programs to use and it is reasonable effective. I have used it in my system. Benchmark Media uses the MiniDSP SHD Studio with two of their own DAC with great results. 

There are room control programs that are more sophisticated such as ARC and DEQX. They are also more difficult to set up and the learning curve for someone who has never used digital signal processing is steep. 

A program like Dirac is essential for subwoofer performance. Without a digital bass management program you are living in the stone age.

The MiniDSP SHD is a fabulous unit for the money the only problem is it's DACs are not of the highest quality. The Studio version has no built in DACs letting you use whatever you like, the way to go if you have the money. 

@mijostyn WOW, thank you! I was thinking of having someone help me with this, such as with the link I attached above. Terry Ellis with Persuit Perfect Systems offer this service for novices like me.

I thought to seek his help with the speakers I have now to see if he could tweak some more bass out of them and if not, get a pair of subs and use his services once again to tweak things in.

If you get one of the MiniDSP SHD units you will not need any ones help. You just place the subs where you want them and run the program. It is self explanatory. The SHD will need an ethernet connection to your router and a USB connection to your computer. You will have to arrange that. You can use a laptop. Once everything is programmed and sounding the way you want  you will not need the computer anymore, but to stream and upgrade you will need the ethernet connection. It will wirelessly hook up to your network, but I always find this unsatisfactory for streaming and running Dirac which is cloud based. 

Regarding the SHD Studio, how is the quality of the volume control and supplied remote? I am concerned with this unit replacing my pre-amp because it has to control the volume on both digital (high & low pass) outs.

@mijostyn OK, thanks again. Do you think I could accomplish what you were saying in my subwoofer thread:

Move the center frequency up to 60 Hz and set the deep bass boost at +6 dB if it will let you. Now play some bass heavy music at a low level and slowly increase the level to the loudest you listen at keeping an eye on your woofers and listening for any distortion. With any distortion back off immediately. If you get to your target volume without any problems and the bass is satisfactory to you then you are all set. If you can not make it to your target volume then it is subwoofer time. If you make it to your target volume but the bass still is not good enough increase the deep bass boost to +10 dB and start the process over.

Then if I can’t accomplish this or get sufficient bass, add the subwoofer and use DIRAC to set things up again?

Also, to @koestner point. Is it true the SHD Studio will replace the pre-amp I have now? I have a Coda CP preamp and a Bricasti M1 DAC that I can also use as a preamp. Although the system sounds better (I think) using the Coda pre-amp.

Does the room correction with the SHD Studio make up for the quality of the pre-amp itself?

I presume this is the correct model?

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-studio