DO CABLES REALLY MATTER?

Yes they do.  I’m not here to advocate for any particular brand but I’ve heard a lot and they do matter. High Fidelity reveal cables, Kubala Sosna Elation and Clarity Cable Natural. I’m having a listening session where all of them is doing a great job. I’ve had cables that were cheaper in my system but a nicely priced cable that matches your system is a must.  I’m not here to argue what I’m not hearing because I have a pretty good ear.  I’m enjoying these three brands today and each is presenting the music differently but very nicely. Those who say cables don’t matter. Get your ears checked.  I have a system that’s worth about 30 to 35k retail.  Now all of these brands are above 1k and up but they really are performing! What are your thoughts. 
calvinj
mitch2,

I hear a little sarcasm in your comments.  I had Wireworld Platinum XLR cables and compared them to Audioquest Fire. There is a clear difference between the two. Wireworld is a neutral cable in my system. The Audioquest Fire is a more forward cable, where the lead singer is clearly pushed a little forward.  In my system I prefer the Fire. In another system I'm sure I could easily prefer Wireworld. What we hear or don't hear has to be taken in the context of the "SYSTEM". Not just with cables, but every component. It's conceivable to me that you can insert a cable in one system and not hear any difference,  but that same cable may have an audible impact in another system.
Apriori, cables MUST matter because 1) there is an industry with many entrant manufacturers and dealers 2) there are many customers of these products and 3) the interest level at times to discuss this very topic outweighs the very activity of listening to the damn things.

Who cares what they sound like when they make money and use up valuable time in this forum?

That's why they matter.
@ricred1 
the rest of your post that I agree with 100%....
It's actually pretty simple...if you hear a difference with cables that you prefer than purchase them. If you don't hear a difference or you hear a difference that's not to your liking, don't purchase them. Audio is about preferences based on the context of the system and room. That includes speakers, amps, preamps, cables, and everything else.
The ridiculous part is the time spent arguing over what other people hear....and, of course, people who believe they hear what others tell them they should be hearing, and not to forget those who claim that people who do not hear the prescribed changes have either weak systems, poor hearing, or both, and finally those who claim it is scientifically impossible to hear differences in cables with like LCR properties.

A good game of dodgeball would have a better chance of sorting out differences in opinions about cables than the discussions of this thread.

Scarcastic?....maybe a little
Ricred1 finally a voice of reason. Some systems are not made of constructed  upon which someone can hear a difference. There are audible difference in cables. Some can cause a wider soundstage, better bass, more airy treble, a more open midrange, some are more forward than others. Some systems are not as transparent or resolving as others. Some people have never really experienced higher end systems for long periods of time to even be able to have a decent reference point. Anyway I think some guys made it too complicated.