Do you belong more to souce first or to speakers first school of thought ?

It is more complicated in reality of high end than either/or but still we have our preferences. This is a never ending debate, so let's never end it.

inna

Good source will sound better on mediocre speakers than mediocre source will sound on good speakers. 

I think that there may be something to this.  

I would have defined "source" as ALL the electronics in front of the speakers, but I am thinking for the purposes of this discussion, that "source" refers to the first front end component in the system? 

Good source will sound better on mediocre speakers than mediocre source 

I consider my CD player and TT mediocre and they sound great with good speakers and bad with OK speakers. So I guess it depends on the definition of mediocre. To translate this to numbers:

$200 CD player - $1000 speaker or 

$800 CD player - $400 speaker?

(as speakers budget shouldn't be 1:1)

Note, I didn't forget one "0" from each number - that's what I meant 😊

My Magnavox All In One came with speakers.

I got dizzy (more than usual) when I dished out $172 at KMart. 

I remember how proud I was pushing it out of the store, strapping it on my motorcycle and riding it home thru town.  Yeah.  Mine.  Eat your hearts out.

Years later a friend gave me an old pair of Roger? Ls3 something something speakers.  Smaller than what came with it.  But it has to do.

@kingsleuy , I bought my very first system at the SAFB BX in ’79 and it was also a Magnavox! I did it on lay-away. (It would not have strapped onto the back of a mc though, I picked the rack system that had the biggest speakers of all of the rack systems they had. It must have been multiple boxes. I am not sure how I got it back to the barracks in my Mustang, but I did.)