Does Time alignment and Phase coherency make for a better loudspeaker?

Some designers strive for phase and time coherency.  Will it improve sound quality?

jeffvegas

@mijostyn,

If you like your system, I would not necessarily recommend anything you are doing other than what you have right now. However, since you have the equipment and I get the impression like to tinker, I would look at doing a gated frequency response (over the frequencies you can) to see what your on axis frequency response is and how flat it is and see how that compares with the room response which is what I think you are saying is flat. Not as a rule, but as a guide, a flat on-axis with a declining room response after about 3KHz seems to match best average preference across a range of music. Your speakers will have less room interaction which is a good, but it also means one less variable to play with. For most rooms, as you noted, that is probably better. You may have some latitude though, since you have full equalization capability, that you can adjust your toe in to adjust direct/reflected balance, while using the equalizer to flatten the on-axis while achieving a different off axis from what you have now.  Will you like it better? Your two headed coin is as good as mine. I am certainly interested in what happens if you do. I expect a whole lot of worse, but possibly you will find a new sweet spot you like even better. This is not a 15 minute exercise.

Post removed 

@ghasley , I have no idea who or what a kenjit is, but I take great offence to being compared to amplifierdude or mivmike or mikemiv, or whatever he goes by today, knowing him from another site, and in the my limited time on here. What he thinks he knows about electronics and audio far exceeds what he does, and it is pretty painfully obvious.

@tushiman1 - please grow up, this is your 4th troll post and unlike you, I am mature enough not to be baited. I am sorry you are so offended by what I say. May I suggest a book to catch up?

@cindyment while there was certainly no "offence" intended, the fact that you materialize one day and set a posting record the next likely makes some here curious who you are. Your early posturing is likely to make most indifferent at best. Many who join the site introduce themselves. Something like "Hi, I’m Nigel, I live in my parent’s basement. I have a Parasound Hint or a Whatchamacallit Dac and I’m going to challenge your preconceived notions. I am a manufacturer OR I am a hobbyist" would also be a nice start.

You seem knowledgable and are likely to enjoy it here, you are however, a bit confrontational. Additionally, most of us who have been on Audiogon for a while have no idea who or what a kenjit is either. Warm regards and welcome to Audiogon although its not my place to welcome you or not.