External DAC?

Hey guys,

Here's my current setup:  Node 2i > Marantz PM KI Ruby > Dynaudio Special 40.

I am considering getting an external DAC and bypass the Node's DAC.   I have seen great reviews for the Topping D90 but the MQA only works via USB (node 2i doesn't have usb out).  Not that big of a concern because I can always use Qobuz HiRes instead and to be honest, I can't tell much of a difference on most tracks.

Anyway, is the Topping D90 a worthy upgrade to the node 2i?  Or should I spend more and go for the trusted Chord Qutest?  I will be stretching my budget with the Chord but I am to wait and save up if it is worth it.  Any other DACs in this price range?

Please advise! 
prashanth13485
Just check out Denafrips , for $1700 the Pontus is exceptional 
Vinshine  Audio  DHL  only takes 4-5 day free shipping nothing 
compares  in the  $2k range 8 sold my Schiit Yggsdrasil  for it .
If you don’t need volume control or MQA try a Topping E30. There are a lot of good DACs out there you don’t need to spend a fortune for great sound.

I added a Topping E30 to the digital output of my 20 year old Denon DCM-440. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I definitely heard improvement...not huge improvement, but easily audible and easily worth the $130.
If you don't want to buy a fresh Metrum direct, HiFiHeaven has them for pennies more. Again free, superfast delivery.
Designed in Holland by experts.
agree with fuzz

hifi heaven very good, very reasonably priced, very attentive

recently bought an mqa module to try in a sonnet dac from them... they were fast, responsive, excellent all around
The DAC in the Node 2i isn’t awful, but that’s not much of an endorsement. Most decent DACs will be an easily audible upgrade. I ran coax to an Oppo 105 and then stepped up to the Qutest. Definite improvement each step, but I think I’m at the point of diminishing returns while still using the Node as a source. Now I have the Oppo running into the Qutest, too. I don’t find it overly analytical at all, but I also have tubed pre/amp. I’m using the incisive HF roll off filter. The HF roll off is intended to help contain >20k artifacts in high sample rate files. Not that my hearing goes anywhere close to that. There are also warm filters with and without HF roll off, but I like it as is. You might try something more budget friendly like a Schiit Bifrost or some of the other suggestions. I still want to try a few different types of DAC to try to hone in my ear on each one‘s characteristic sound, but I just spent that money on whiskey instead.