Floorstanders for small rooms? Budget $1200 used

Hi again,

Well, I am still looking at some speaker suggestions, this time for some floor-standing models that work well in smaller rooms. I listen mostly to classic jazz, but also electronic, vocals, classical, and some rock. I need a pretty versatile speaker. My associated equipment is C-J PV10A preamp, MF-2200 amp, Von Schweikert VR-2000 speaker, Arcam CD73T CDP.

My system is pretty warm and lush at this point, so I probably want something maybe a bit more detailed (changing preamp may help too). My current speakers seem pretty musical and not too detailed. They are bit 4-way speakers with a 10" driver and response down to 26hz, and probably a bit too much for the place I am moving to soon (although I won't purchase a new pair until after the move (and I know the speakers won't work). The speakers will be used in a room 11x14ish, with the listening end up against the far wall.

So far I have been thinking about the Soliloquy 5.3's (already posted on this), but am looking for other suggestions as well. I have a budget of no more than $1200 to spend on a speaker (probably used/demo) at this time.

Thanks for any suggestions!
chiho
I would go with the Meadowlark Kestral 2s over the Soliloquy 5.3s. I have had both and the Kestrals have a far more detailed mid-band which works really well with jazz and classical music. I detected some coloration in the mid-band with the Soliloquy 5.3s and thus they were not as detailed and articulate. They do however have substantially more bass weight than the K2s. All in all, I prefered the K2s.
Totem Arro works well in my room of similar dimension. As a bonus, they mate well with tubes. The Arro's character leans toward analytical/detailed. It has great bass quality and when backed to within a foot of a wall it provides a nice foundation, but won't shake the walls. I enjoy mine--good luck!
I've owned both the Soliloquy 5.3 and the 6.2 floorstanders.
Both are excellent speakers, and mate well with ANY amp,
even in a small room. The only thing I found was that in a small room, I preferred single speaker cable (vs. bi-wire), which tended to project too much for my room to handle. These are the most non-fatiguing speaker I've heard. Even after listening for 6-8 hours, I'm still engaged.
And I would agree that $800-900 for a used pair of 5.3's is a steal.
All the best,
Howard
There are a pair of Soliloquy 6.3s for sale here on Audiogon. There are listed for $1199 with free shipping. These are the next to the top of the line 6.5s which I have and love. Jim
Interesting-you don't think those 6.3's will be overpowering in my room? That was the primary reason for looking at the 5.3.