great bookshelf speakers vs 12-18 k floor speakers

Just something i never considered, if you have a rather small room 13x20 with less tha perfect accoustics (Glass walls),high-rise. Anyway, i have always had tower speakers, currently Paradigm S8's v1. I have never explored smaller speakers, the so called bookshelf. Can i buy smaller speakers and still get the full range and soundstage that i get from the floor speakers? What would you consider as the best... especially when you don't have a large room. I don't always compare by price although you'd think a 15,000 set of speakers should be all around better a than a 5,000 set of bookshelfs? I have 180 Rouge Audio monoblocks, Rouge 90 pre amp, Ayon c-2 CD, Shenada Hydra 8 and much better than mid range cables.
bobmclean
Very few "rules" in audio, but I've always believed small rooms require small speakers. Big floor-standers with large woofers and deep bass require larger rooms for the bass to sound right.

Luckily, I've found many small bookshelf speakers sound great--I use a pair of Tang-Band full-range drivers, but had good results with dozens of cheaper brands. Apparently, it is much harder to design a good full-range speaker than a mini-monitor.

I've found speaker and room interaction to be extremely important, much more so than any other component, brand name or accessory.
For me there is no replacement for displacment and fullrange floor-standers take monitors to school everytime.

Small speaker may image better and maybe more integrated but they will never be as dynamic.
Stick with the floor standers. If you want to experiment, try to audition the Totem Mani2 bookshelfs. They are amazingly full range for their size.
People say bookshelf speakers image better, I haven't heard this. Could be I am listening to the wrong bookshelfs.
Dynaudio C-1, Sonus faber Cremona Auditor Ms OR Guarneri Momento. These are some of the better monitors around. Perfect for a room your size.