Help me understand John Coltrane .... seriously.

Hi Everyone,
Listen I have a favor to ask, and those of you better educated in Jazz can help me.

I always have a tough time listening to John Coltrane. It's like he's talking a different language.
Can any of you point me to recordings I should listen to on Tidal or Quboz or whatever that set me up to better appreciate the man?

Thank you for the musical education.

Best,

E
erik_squires
@erik_squires  When you listen to Coltrane, do you enjoy the music. If the answer is yes, then why attempt to disseminate why...if the answer is no...same point. Most folks have favorite genres and artists...and those that they totally dislike. Personally, i have a hard time with gangster RAP, but i can accept that there are plenty of people who like it..even to exclusion of all other types of music. Do I wonder if i can understand it better, and therefore enjoy it more...no. Because, I am happy enough with all of the other numerous types of music that i do enjoy...and IF a gangster RAP piece comes along that I can feel in my soul...well then that's good too. Music is like that, it either makes you want to listen more, or it does not...nothing to learn there, IMHO.
Miles Davis "Someday my prince will come" is fine with Coltrane making contributions on the main title and "Teo". This is as far as I will go with JC.. Very good recording too.
If the answer is yes, then why attempt to disseminate why...if the answer is no...same point.

Why not? As I’ve said many times, art is not without context. Liking an expression and understanding the vector (where was it, where is it going?) are separate, but the latter can help you resonate and connect with the former.  It's up to me how I spend my time right?

I’m reminded of a friend, Lisa who took a class in Mesoamerican art. She had a really tough time with it until she took peyote, and boom, it all made sense. :)

Best,

E
Like a lot of jazz dudes he does speak a different language. I've generally found I either get an artist or I don't from the get-go and no amount of "education" is going to help me "get it". Either is fine, plenty of other stuff to check out.