Higher End DACs

I am looking for a DAC (potentially streamer&DAC) to be paired in a mcintosh system (c1100/611). Its my first foray into digital streaming and I have no need for a CD player.

I see a lot of love for Esoteric, however, most seems to be around their transports? Are they not as renowned for pure digital streaming and/or standalone DACs? I see DCS (for instance) often referenced for standalone DACs - how does Esoteric compare?
ufguy73
I know roon needs a lot to run but I don't  think  it needs 40 threads and 48 gigs of ecc. I transitioned  from vinyl 20 years ago. Once again the OP is looking for a DAC and streamer not a 100lb block over built to the point of absurdity to do the job of delivering music. 
Hello djones51,
ed_nyc makes a compelling case for the extraordinary measures taken to overcome RF emissions and vibration issues that are detrimental to sound quality.  Is it your contention this objective can be effectively achieved  at a very reasonable cost (And weight) ?  Very interesting dialogue posted thus far.
Charles 
In the first place you don’t need a computer to get excellent sound from digital. At least not the type of computer we’re talking about here a lot of things like phones and tablets , streamers are ’computers ’. True if you want to use room you’ll need a computer to run the OS but you don’t need dual 10 core hyperthreading Xeons for 40 threads and 48 gigs of ecc ram. I don’t really like roon so why would I need a computer? I use a NAS and rarely use that mostly I stream tidal. Digital has RF emission computers are about the worse for this so if you use one don’t stick in your audio rack. Vibration control has been taken to extremes but the OP is looking for a DAC and streamer no mention of a server how does the Extreme alleviate vibration in a DAC attached to it with a cable? I said the Extreme is probably a very good server one of best I imagine but it isn’t what the guy asked about. Lumin x1  is about $14K has a great dac ,dual mono design, femtoc clock, optical network to isolate digital noise, great user interface, streamer.  Matrix Element X one of the best measuring dacs with top of the line ESS chips , xmos USB prossecor , linear power supply, isolation ldo, hook it to a good home network with a quality NAS and you’ll get excellent digital sound for $3K. It even has a micro sd card slot just put your music on those. These are not servers will not run roon core but at least they are a dac/streamer what the OP asked about.
@mikelavigne   Thank you for your detailed response and for summarizing the progression and gains through to the present. Your post and other contributions in the thread are very helpful and highlight things I need to be aware of, and consider, should I make choices in these areas.

@ed_nyc  Great to learn more about the development of the Taiko Extreme and the 'Extreme Ways' Path. : )  Thanks for the excellent information.