Home grown turntable platform/base?

I picked up a used Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable for the family room. We are not big into vinyl, mostly listen to digital, but my 16yo daughter has shown an interest in getting some records. I’m getting excited about her interest in vinyl and audio. What is a good platform material to use? Wood? Granite? Should I add sorbothane and/or spikes underneath? I’m not looking to spend a lot but feel I should have some decent isolation for it. The turntable currently sits on a hollow shelf. It’s where it has to be so I need to make this work.

Thanks for any input.
asahitoro
@asahitoro Good. I have concrete too. The thing to remember is that, as a basic rule, the harder and less compliant the support, the faster, more dynamic and more detailed the sound becomes. However, you can swing it too far and make the sound a little, um, sterile. Marble and glass can do that. Soft woods go the other direction with the sound becoming softer. It seems ridiculous but it is true. Some argue that low frequency resonances need to be attenuated using damping but, to be honest, I have not found it to be a big deal. Hollow shelves or cabinets are a no-no. Try a 16"18" piece of granite from a fabricator. Stand the granite on 3 points - brass, or something. Ensure all is level. Let us know what you end up doing.
Awesome advice @noromance. Thanks again to you and everyone else. I'll post what I end up with.
+1 on thick butcher block. Even better, Mapleshade makes some great thick solid maple plinths.
Thanks Steve,

I'm digging this Mapleshade unfinished block:
https://shop.mapleshadestore.com/18-x-15-x-2-Ready-To-Be-Finished-Maple-Platform/productinfo/18X15X2...

Would this be a good combo with the Herbie's Tenderfoots or would the granite/spikes route work out better?
This is exactly how my daughter gained an interest in vinyl. Same age too. Started with the project and that led into a VPI prime signature. 

We use the butcherblockacoustics platform. Nor very expensive a beautifully made.

It's amazing how 3 years later my daughter has collected over 100 records of her own. Met Michael Fremer and has been to numerous audio shows and shops. 

Enjoy