How to set up volume control on a DAC without a preamp

I am creating my system and trying to decide on a DAC.  I don't have a preamp at this time and the preamps I am looking at are quite expensive.  Several DAC's that i'm looking at doesn't have volume control either. Is it possible to set up volume control in ROON or HQ Player until I can get the money together for the preamp?

128x128brbrock

+1 to @ivickery Note that Tidal recently had a bug that would ramp up volume to 100% when playing in shuffle mode. Just seems risky to rely on any software for volume control instead of good old reliable hardware. Be safe. 

"Version 2024.09.04 Released 

Here's what's new:

Shuffle Surprise: Our shuffle feature got a little too enthusiastic and cranked your volume to the max when enabled. We’ve dialed it back down, so now your ears can enjoy the perfect mix without any unexpected blasts. Shuffle on!"

I use a PSAudio Airlens streamer to a PSAudio Directstream DAC to a Pass Labs XA-25 amp it sounds very good. I have no intention of adding a pre amp. You can get some very good deals on a used DSA Mrk I. I am going to add my OPPO 105 for CD to the mix but have not considered adding a turntable or researched the possibility of connecting one to the DAC if vinyl is in the equation for you. 

I would also be concerned driving an amp directly from a DAC. Roon has had a bug in past that caused the volume to ramp to 100%. Could be catastrophic under the wrong circumstances.

you can buy dac with Exellent volume control - APL hifi dac or Playback design dac.

Thank you for all the responses.  I have been looking at DAC's around 3k-4k.  They include some older Mojo Audio DAC's, Denafrips or Holo Audio.  I have also seen the new Musetec DAC that was just released.  The preamps I was want  is  the Spatial Audio Raven or having SMc Audio build me a TLC-2 to match my SMc DNA .5 modded amplifier.  None of these DAC's except the Musetec have  volume control and I won't be able to purchase the DAC and preamp at the same time.  I did however find some inexpensive ideas until I can get a preamp.