How To Use DAC in my McIntosh C2600 Preamp?

I guess I am embarrassed to post this thread, but here goes:

I have a Sony HAP Z1ES that I use as a server for all of my digital FLAC files. I have this Z1ES hooked up to my McIntosh C2600 Preamp using balanced cables to the Balanced L and R Inputs on the back of my C2600. I have recently been reading up on DAC's and I see that the DAC in the Z1ES is a $4 chip (I did not know this!).

I would like to explore using the DAC built into the McIntosh C2600. To do this, is it as simple as hooking up a Digital Optical cable from my Z1ES to the Digital Optical Input on the back of my C2600? Can I leave both the Unbalanced Cables and the Optical Cable hooked up at the same time and then toggle back and forth to listen to the differences?

Like I said at the start of this thread, my apologies for the stupid question - but I am learning!

Thanks.

hikerneil

The administrators can actually delete this post.  Further research shows that the Sony HAP Z1ES does not have the ability to output a digital signal.  The unit uses its own DAC and can only output an analog signal. 

I will not be using the DAC in my McIntosh.

I suppose it's time to buy a new server to replace my aging Sony.

You can connect a DAC to the Sony.  With all the firmware updates, you can connect a DAC or an extra hard drive.   The DAC in the C2600 is nothing special, I have the same in my C2500 and have it connected to my Esoteric SACD player. The ESS chip in the Mac preamp sounds bright and forward compared to the R-R Ladder DAC in my Esoteric Player.  I love the dac in my Sony HAP-Z1ES.  It was very highly rated and still can hold its own.  If you decide to sell the Sony, let me know when you list it and I will put in an offer provided it works as should, presents well, and doesn’t have the thin white lines though the screen.