How To Use DAC in my McIntosh C2600 Preamp?

I guess I am embarrassed to post this thread, but here goes:

I have a Sony HAP Z1ES that I use as a server for all of my digital FLAC files. I have this Z1ES hooked up to my McIntosh C2600 Preamp using balanced cables to the Balanced L and R Inputs on the back of my C2600. I have recently been reading up on DAC's and I see that the DAC in the Z1ES is a $4 chip (I did not know this!).

I would like to explore using the DAC built into the McIntosh C2600. To do this, is it as simple as hooking up a Digital Optical cable from my Z1ES to the Digital Optical Input on the back of my C2600? Can I leave both the Unbalanced Cables and the Optical Cable hooked up at the same time and then toggle back and forth to listen to the differences?

Like I said at the start of this thread, my apologies for the stupid question - but I am learning!

Thanks.

hikerneil

You can connect a DAC to the Sony.  With all the firmware updates, you can connect a DAC or an extra hard drive.   The DAC in the C2600 is nothing special, I have the same in my C2500 and have it connected to my Esoteric SACD player. The ESS chip in the Mac preamp sounds bright and forward compared to the R-R Ladder DAC in my Esoteric Player.  I love the dac in my Sony HAP-Z1ES.  It was very highly rated and still can hold its own.  If you decide to sell the Sony, let me know when you list it and I will put in an offer provided it works as should, presents well, and doesn’t have the thin white lines though the screen. 

The administrators can actually delete this post.  Further research shows that the Sony HAP Z1ES does not have the ability to output a digital signal.  The unit uses its own DAC and can only output an analog signal. 

I will not be using the DAC in my McIntosh.

I suppose it's time to buy a new server to replace my aging Sony.