I want to buy new speakers for 50,000 and see it used for 30,000, what should I do?

two issues here, would it be smarter to buy the used speakers not knowing where they’ve been or how hard they’ve been played or maybe there’s something wrong with them. And the other issue is what happens to the value of my speakers immediately after the box comes to my house. And I guess the third issue is, amI insane for buying $50,000 speakers.

It seems like I’ll be losing $20,000 immediately and of course probably a little more since if I ever sell they will need to be reduced further so used price can be 30,000 if a dealer is involved which they probably will be.

This raises a serious concern that very nice speakers are just too expensive.

Fortunately (and luckily) I’m not married so that makes this process a lot easier

emergingsoul

No reply from this OP after numerous suggestions here.

I bought $25k PMC MB2SE from a doctor in Canada who had obviously looked after his system based on the many photos he shared. I paid less than half as he was looking for a quick sale. I’ve owned PMC before and these arrived well packed in original packaging. Shipping is another issue and ensuring palletising if necessary will give you peace of mind.

Going to see the used one’s will provide you with a look at a home site versus a shop experience with burned in mature sound, while considering the room situation as a factor.

Like others have said, make that visit and share your discovery with us here.

1. What you expect from 50K speaker may also available in other low priced speaker, explore more.

2. Go to sellers Place, have audition and audit before buying expensive product.If happens to buy check how safely it will be packed and delivered to you. take experts assistance for the both evaluations.

And we wonder why so many dealers have gone out of business in the last decade.

"I demand 20% off or I’m walking!"

"Buh-bye."

One of the single-store dealers in my region does quite well despite regularly offering 20-30% discounts on nearly every product he sells. The exceptions are the handful of lifestyle products he offers, like Sonos. He said there are simply too low of margins on those products to offer anything better than 10% off. Meanwhile, he’ll offer to sell you a McIntosh stack for >30% off, just so long as you agree to not go tattling on him to Mac. Even though the guy’s customer service is mediocre at best, he seems to do pretty well. I surmise that’s because what he gives up in profit margin he makes up for in sales volume. The guy won’t even load the gear in your vehicle for you because he suffered a stroke a few years ago. But is that a big issue when you’re getting the warrantied product you want for 35% off?

It’s surprising how many here are seemingly unaware of the deals that can be had on brand-new hifi. I figured the primary demographic of this forum would be accustomed to being offered such discounts.

It has been my experience that in most cases, with most dealers, one needn’t even ask, the salesperson/owner is eager to offer a sizable discount.
Makes me wonder if they spot some of you pulling up to their storefront in your exotic sports car, with a trophy wife riding shotgun.

@emergingsoul 

As an engineer I've purchased many speakers and helped many clients purchase speakers. 

step 1. What are you looking for ?  Size.  Sound.  Etc.

A budget number is a terrible idea as your basis.  There are $15,000 speakers that better 60,000 speakers yet only when you know what you're looking for 

step 2. Synergy is more important than any one speaker or amp etc.  

step 3. Buy something you think you can use forever.  It will likely not happen that way but it's your goal.  

What I’m surprised at is the number of people still treating this as though it’s a serious thread. I admit it was entertaining for a while, but even that’s running thin at this point.