Integrated S.E.T Amp and Bookshelf Speakers Recommendations

Greeting! When I was looking for a CD transport replacement I received great info and advice here.

Now that les fil #3 is adulting, I have my own office/library/hiding place. I am exploring lower wattage integrated SET amps and higher efficiency (92+) bookshelf stand-mount speakers, with a relatively flat signal response. I listen to lots of jazz; smaller chamber music groups and Early Music; acoustic bluegrassy, folk and the like. 

I'm looking for an amp that can do the following- liquid tonality with instruments; good realism and immediacy with voices; solid 3 dimensionality; sweet and airy treble; and defined decays. I want it all, lol.

I'm going to audition the following because these are names I have read about.

Elekit TU8600R, UnisonTriode 25, Sophia Electric Prodigy Dual Mono. Any others?

As far as speakers-Audio Note and Harbeth. Any others?

Budget-I'm listening and learning.

Anyone have any thoughts and recommendations?

Thanks again!

David

128x128wharfy

@dxbwineguy I agree the Cobra is better than a lot of SET amps. It is a very good value proposition. I don't think there is any other DAC+Integrated combo at that price point that even remotely equals it. 

But as a pure integrated, a couple of non-SET options that I do think warrant serious considerations at that price point are Leben CS600X and Lab12 Integre4 MKII. 

Second the Reference 3As.  A friend has a pair and loves them, and he's very fussy.  He has several amps but the 3A's work well with his Dennis Had single-ended KT66 amplifer.

These popped up in my You Tube feed today. I am blown away. Even with laptop speakers, they sound exceptional.

Audio Note Ongaku replica tube amp (youtube.com)

In addition I would add Fezz Audio (from Poland);  Quicksilver Integrated Amplifier – Quicksilver Audio; & JC Verdier Triode Spirit (jcverdier.com)

A few months ago I did hours of research to find small/custom tube amplifiers across the globe. If there was a way to share a folder of bookmarks I would do that. There are so many when you go looking. Sometimes I want to have one from each of them....

regards,

Manu

@dxbwineguy 

The three main French speaker brands - Triangle, Cabasse, and Focal. 

There are also Elipson and Waterfall. 

The replica Ongaku looks sick. I am looking to upgrade to a really nice SET amp for my main setup and that definitely pique my interest.