Is this MQA news a big deal?

Just now stumbled across this release regarding DACs from ESS adding MQA, but I'm not certain if it means there'll likely be many companies offering MQA decoding soon enough. Or if it perhaps means something else. Any thoughts?

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/05/08/1497989/0/en/SABRE-DACs-from-ESS-Technology-to-Int...
hodu
Craigl59,

I find that my SACDs typically play a little "quieter" than "regular" CDs, though I usually don't have the same music on both formats (only when I have previously purchased an SACD and get one of the multi-CD boxed sets).

I presume it's the choices that the mastering engineer made, determining the volume, compression, equalization, etc. and possibly the quality of the hardware they used when mastering both versions.

I am not sure I'd say that either DSD or PCM versions per se "sound better".  If I were to make a "generalization", in my setup it seems that the SACDs sound a little less "digital".  But I must say that some CDs I have (to me) sound better than the SACD versions, when I have both.
"I am not sure I'd say that either DSD or PCM versions per se "sound better". If I were to make a "generalization", in my setup it seems that the SACDs sound a little less "digital". But I must say that some CDs I have (to me) sound better than the SACD versions, when I have both."

Add this to the fact that it also depends on when the CD was mastered and produced. I have early 80's CDs that sound much better (when ripped to FLAC) than re-masters issued within the last few years. I think that is because early 80's CDs used late 70's master tapes which are now almost 40 years old and have degraded. When these are hauled out of the vaults for a remaster or re-issue, no amount of modern day digital magic can recover the loss of the aged medium.

Besides bankrupt TIDAL, where are all the MQA sources? I’ve been hearing about HDTracks streaming for the last year....nothing yet. I keep hearing its coming...its now taking hold......WHERE IS IT?
@erik_squires . Hello again. Don’t wish to argue but I believe your statement “will playback at full resolution is in error. I think the MQA process simply will not play back “bit perfect” due to the nature of the algorithms. Are you sure of your comment. Could you educate me? Thanks
Post removed