JoLida 502b suitable for computer stereo system?

I'm a complete beginner planning on building a computer-based stereo system in my study, using Totem Arro speakers (4 ohm, 87 dB, 80w). Can the JoLida 502b integrated tube amp drive these? What's more important, does its computer line in allow me to do without a separate, external DAC convertor in the system?

I've seen another Goner's virtual computer system, and he uses a Musical Fidelity X-DAC V3 and Musical Fidelity X-150 integrated amp combined with Totem sStaff speakers.

A friend of mine (an NPR music critic) says the DAC is unnecessary if I get an amp with "digital in" that has its own internal DAC convertor. He is insistent I don't need a separate DAC. Is this so?

Will the JoLida 502b serve as both integrated amp and DAC? If not, any suggestions? My budget is about $750 to $1,500 for DAC and amp.
128x128bblilikoi

Showing 2 responses by bblilikoi

Thank you for the information and suggestions. What other integrateds besides the Music Hall have built-in DACs?

I've otherwise identified two outboard DACs, as you suggest--the Musical Fidelty X-DAC V3 amd Bel Canto DAC2. And I'll be looking at the Jolida 302b as well.

But I wonder what other integrated amps might have DACs?
I'll look at the other DACs you mention and think of them along with the 302b as a possibility.

Space is a consideration, though, and the Mambo iteself isn't small either.

Do you like your Arros?