Line fault at the outlet -- do I need an electrician?

Yesterday, I got a Panamax, Max 1500 surge protector and line conditioner. (I got a very good deal on it, and am just trying it out.)

I plugged it into an outlet I've been using for a while and one of the red lights on the front lit up saying "line fault." (I'm not sure how this is different from a "ground fault." Maybe it's the same.) The Panamax does not do this with other outlets in the room. They seem ok.

So, I know this means that the outlet is improperly wired. My question is, might this be a simple thing to check and/or fix? Any suggestions most appreciated. It's the only outlet I can use to have my audio set up where I usually have it. Now is not an optimal time to call an electrician. If this is a big problem, I'll try out my gear somewhere else in the room, but if I can fix this without too much expertise, that would be ideal.
128x128hilde45
Oh, I misread. You just need to reverse one, then the next one in line will be fixed.
@cissado -- I would need to reverse the initial one, no? Or perhaps it's messed up all the way back at the box? I am shying away...
This first one is reversed pull it out and see if the white wire is on the bronze screw side and black wire on the silver screw side which would be wrong. If not look at the receptacle prior where it's  drawing power from for the same thing. Black to bronze, white to silver, bare wire to green screw is how they should be. 
@ hilde45 OP

As djones51 said, start with the wall duplex receptacle you tested that has the reversed polarity. (Hot and neutral wires reversed on the outlet device.)

Make 100% sure the breaker that feeds the outlet is turned off. Plug a lamp into the outlet. Turn the lamp on. The bulb lights. Go turn off the breaker. The light bulb is no longer lit. Use your mulimeter to verify the outlet is DEAD.

Carefully pull the duplex outlet from the wall box. HOPEFULLY there is only three wires connected to the outlet device.

If more than 3 wires connected to the outlet device,... stop..... Do not proceed.... Draw a picture on a piece of paper showing exactly how the device is now wired noting exactly how and where each colored black and white wires are connected on the outlet device. Make sure to note if the black and white wires are only connected to the side screw terminals. Or maybe also stabbed in the back into quick connect pressure terminals.

Post back you findings.

Note, for the branch circuit wiring:
(Per NEC there shall be only one equipment grounding wire connected to the equipment ground terminal on the duplex receptacle outlet device. All equipment grounding conductors within the outlet box shall be joined/jointed together with a pigtail extended out for connection to the duplex receptacle device.) If the outlet box is metallic, made of steel, the box shall be grounded as well.

djones511,315 posts

03-21-2020
12:19pm

This first one is reversed pull it out and see if the white wire is on the bronze screw side and black wire on the silver screw side which would be wrong. If not look at the receptacle prior where it’s drawing power from for the same thing. Black to bronze, white to silver, bare wire to green screw is how they should be.

@ hilde45 OP

You will also notice the color of the terminal screw heads are on the same side of the Hot contact (small slot), and neutral contact (longer slot), of the duplex outlet.

If you acknowledge, post, you have read this today I will check in on the thread through out the day. You can also PM me through the Agon system if you so choose as well.

You are not required by the NEC or possibly/more than likely by your AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) in your area to be an electrician to change out an outlet. I would strongly suggest though you feel confident that you have the know how to do it though. IF in doubt hire an electrician.

Jim