Looking for 50-100 watts of Tube Power (give or take) for my JBL 4349s

I’ve been looking at new and used 50-100 wpc power amps in the $5000 range to drive my JBL 4349s. I don’t have any experience in this price or power bracket when it comes to tubes, and could use some reccomendations.

Here are the amps I’ve been researching (the usual suspects I assume):

Rogue Stereo 100

Cary CAD-120s Mk2

Audio Research Reference 150SE

Audio Research VT80SE

Carver Crimson 275

Various vintage Corad Johnson amps

I’d love to hear why people would choose one of the amps from this list, or what else I should consider that isn’t on the list. I don’t have a preamp yet but will probably try a Benchmark la4 first.

For context, my main amp right now is a Torii Jr, but I also use the 4349s with a Muzishare X7 and a Denon PMA-1700NE. I love the Torii Jr and will continue to use it, but would occasionally like more power. The Muzishare is fine, but I want something of better quality.

My musical tastes are all over the place: rock, pop, jazz, world, electronic, classical. I listen to a lot of symphonic/orchestral music and would like more power to handle the dynamics, but prefer the soundstaging of tubes.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

rischa

I'm late to this thread, but I can throw 2 amps that I've recently purchased that are sounding amazing.....one solid state, and one tube. The solid state is the CODA S5.5, all class A 50WPC 8 ohm, 100WPC 4 ohms, and 200WPC 2 ohms.....100 amps peak power. I've got a review on another thread if you'd care to read it

Second is the Aric Audio Transcend "Push Pull" amp, I've only had it about a week....but it already beats my Tubes4hifi KT120 amp. Here's a review on it

https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1223/Aric_Audio_Transcend_Push_Pull_Amplifier_Review.htm

@vthokie83 if you don't mind the question, which do you prefer to sit back and just listen to music with for the longest amount of time - the Coda S5.5 or the Transcend tube push pull amp? And, do you run the same preamp with both amps when swapping amps. ack and forth?

decooney,

I really can't answer your question right now. I've had the CODA for about 6 weeks and the Transcend for about half of that. In addition I've just received an Aric Audio Motherlode XL preamp, so I'm really testing 3 components at about the same time. The CODA is broken in, the Transcend is about broken in as it was the same exact unit that was reviewed by Bob Grossman at "Enjoy The Music" with a few new upgrades, and the Motherlode XL is just recently installed.

The nice part is that the Motherlode XL allows for both amps to be connected at the same time, and I can switch back and forth. Both amps are brilliant and really easy to listen to, the best amps I have ever owned by a good margin. You can read my review of the CODA on the S5.5 thread started by Teejay here on Agon, and Terry London (Teejay) will have a review on it sometime soon at Stereo Times.....and you can go back and read Bob's review at "Enjoy The Music".

I never say never, but at least for the next bunch of years, I am off of the preamp/amp upgrade cycle......both amps and preamp are BRILLIANT. I don't know that I could review the entire combo, as I've run out of superlatives in my previous reviews (Clayton Shaw Caladans on Agon and the CODA S5.5 review). But for the money ($3,000 for Caladans, $6,000 for the CODA, $4,000 for the Transcend, and $6,000 Motherlode XL)....less than $20,000, I'd put this combo up with anything I've heard for less than $50,000. That is an opinion of course, but it's certainly up there