Looking for a CD / SACD player. Also, tell me about Esoteric

Budget is $10k.

I want something that plays SACDs as well as redbook.

Must have US service available.

I mention Esoteric as they appear to be one of the few still pushing the envelope as well as supporting SACD in this price range.

gthirteen

bthartman

Very nice- D-07x player. What other gear is in your system?

I own a sweet D-03x and can only imagine the presentation and sound quality of 

D-07x, D-10x Reference players.

Happy Listening!

Rbyington711

"A CD is a spinner and a laser so what does a 12k Esoteric do that a $1,200 Marantz doesn't."

I own Esoteric's P-05/D-05 set up as well as a P-0s.  I also have a Theta Jade.  The Theta is really good, but at its' best, maybe 85% of the Esoterics.

So, if you have to ask, you'll never know. 

Rbyington711

"A CD is a spinner and a laser so what does a 12k Esoteric do that a $1,200 Marantz doesn't."

I own Esoteric's P-05/D-05 set up as well as a P-0s.  I also have a Theta Jade.  The Theta is really good, but at its' best, maybe 85% of the Esoterics.

So, if you have to ask, you'll never know. 

A CD is a spinner and a laser so what does a 12k Esoteric do that a $1,200 Marantz doesn't 

There's more to making music than making the little silver disc spin around and pointing a laser at it.  The quality of the transport matters, and most importantly, what happens to the bits and bytes after they are read by the laser matters the most.  The digital bits need to be converted to an analog signal, which is what separates the wheat from the chaff.

@rbyington71

"A CD is a spinner and a laser so what does a 12k Esoteric do that a $1,200 Marantz doesn’t."

I’m not going to waste any time explaining the differences in specific components and the fact that there are a plethora of machines that I haven’t listened to or maybe not even heard of as there are components that either do not or rarely ever make it to our shores(I have a Romanian audio buddy who fills me in on that stuff who really knows much more about that kind of equipment). Kind of like being mildly a car buff; knowing about Ferrari, what a 911 GT3 is, and then finding out that there is a world of Koenigsegg’, Pagani’, Fractal mathematics used in design(Rimac), and a host of other small independent companies or even large businesses, Volkswagon, Ford utilizing small teams of creative engineers pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in auto design, so in audio. The same passion exists in audio, actually almost anything in life you can say that about where someone out there has a better way of expressing that kind of passion. My $80.00 CD player gives me some part of, some flavor of, a taste if you will, even if it’s a minuscule bit of what a top tier component can do, but it is not the same thing. In some ways it betters, well sort of, kind of my mid-level machine that’s much more than the eighty-buck player. But that’s a whole other discussion and I’d be typing all day.

I know that it might be difficult to be able to listen to a wide range of systems, and products in parts of the country and given enough time auditioning them to get a real handle on what’s what. I have been into this hobby since high school, that would have been the seventies and even in the last few years I still am learning new things. Some of the most important things I learned was to be a better listener; not just to music but people as well.  Also to trust my own instincts.  My initial reaction to a product tends to be the right for me, even if I figure it out later. I always liked Linn and Naim's audio advice to sales staff doing demos of any equipment. You do the best demonstration you can and if the customer doesn’t hear those differences in components you’re demonstrating, don’t try to shove it down their throats!