Love my ipod, Hate my ear buds....

As on old time audio guy, who just got my first ipod. I know, I know...so I'm a little slow...not thrilled with the phonics, but enjoy the portability and interface, but, HATE, HATE the ear buds, extremely uncomfortable and so sensitive to exact placement...
So I thought I ask my friends here who must have struggled with this already. If I want this for easy portability ie slip in my inside pocket (so no bulky head phones), what options have you found that are comfortable, small and sound reasonably good.

I thank you in advance for your suggestions.
seric56
I have JBL Reference 220 for my iphone. Sound is decent though not spectacular. Price is reasonable. Have read good things about the Etymotic but couldn't bring myself to shell out the $160 for them
Do you just not like having these earphones inside your ear or are you looking for other similar in-ear earphones? I know some people don't like the feeling of having these things inside their ears. I've seen some headphones that are designed for portability, so they can be folded and should be able to fit inside your pocket. But most of these are only available in Asia.

I started out using a pair of Ety ER-4S with a portable amp with my Cowon iAudio X5. That turned out to be a pain in the rear trying to juggle with all the pieces at the airports. I ended up ditching the amp and connect the Etys straight to the unit. But that sounded bright, and bass shy. I've since replaced the Etys with a pair of Shure SE530. They work fairly well, and sound fairly good without using a separate amp.

FrankC
The Etymotics and the Shures are certainly going to be the best, but they are pricey.
I have the Sennheiser MX75 Sport phones, which have a unique "twist to fit" design so they remain tightly fitted in your ears and have very good sound. List is $50, but they are available on the web for less than $40.
The pads can be changed to fit your ear.
Again, probably not the quality of sound as the Etymotics or the Shures, but a darn good phone at the price.
Marry any of the sugggested phones with custom ear molds especially made for the earphones you like. I have ER-6's with custom molds and the package sounds great. Most audiogist's can do the molds and should cost about $100.