Made My Own USB cable

Made my own usb cable.

Since one of my recent usb cables became defective, and had to send it off for repair, I decided to try my hand at a DIY usb version. I have made in the past interconnects, speaker cables and power cords, and I have always tried to use the best materials available.

Well, I just completed the usb cable. And to my surprise it is a lot better than any usb cable I have tried. Way better than some other highly acclaimed $$$ cables that I have on hand or others that I have tried. Hard to believe, but I’m not kidding it is that good.

Construction:

The wire that was used is a 24-gauge .9999 soft annealed pure silver wire. I kept the wires separated and placed them on clear (about 4”) wide packing tape with the sticky side up. I then placed another tape over the wires thus sealing the wires. I used usb connectors that were easy to use and that also helps to keep the wires separated. I also ran a separate pure silver ground wire of the same material. Link to the usb connectors below.

zdyCGTime USB 2.0 A Screw Terminal Block Connector USB 2.0 A Male Plug to 5 Pin/Way Female Bolt Screw Shield terminals Pluggable Type Adapter Connector Converter 300V 8A(2Pack) (Male)

From first play I knew I had made something special. Playing some Hi Rez CCR song, “Green River” where the guitar starts from the right now comes from way over to the right. I didn’t think it could go so far over to the right! It wasn’t a difference that was hard to tell. No, what I heard was a quite natural sound that seemed so comfortable and relaxed but was also very dynamic that possessed a wide, wide open soundstage. The bass has that boogie quality and the mids and treble were again the best I have heard with my equipment. There is a presence in the sound quality that is hard to believe, singers, and images reach out to touch. I made two versions; one was about ½ meter long the other about 1 meter. I’m still undecided as to which length sounds the best.

But I am confused, it won’t pass a DSD signal? Very strange… but, 16-24/96 or 192hz is no problem.

So, cable wire quality and the barest construction method used appears to be very important, even with usb digital cables.

ozzy

128x128ozzy
I had a dream ...
The blacks and whites ...
Live in peace

errrr.... I meant the believers and non-believers live in peace.  
Yes, I have compared my DIY to the Audioquest Diamond, a cable that I currently own. 
First of, I think the Curious Cable, Cerious Matrix  are better than the Diamond, and my DIY cable is even better.

I changed the design somewhat by using only 2 wires per 4" strip thus separating the wires even further and then the ground is on its own strip.

Think about it, a usb cable consists of 5 wires and the connectors. Improving the metallurgy and the space between the wires is the key to the improved sonic improvement. 

Sometime soon I will be changing the usb connectors to a higher quality, If I do I will probably use some Total Contact paste on the connections.

ozzy
@OP
Can you post some pictures of the cable? 
Links to hardware?
I'd be interested in giving it a shot.
Bob
Yes, I will post some pictures on my system page. Give me another day after the Super Bowl though.

I bought the wire off of eBay a while back. Try to get .9999 24-26 ga pure soft annealed silver wire, but that may be overkill.

For a 1/2M length you will need about 8-10 feet of wire. The connectors used are listed in my main post and are very easy to install. Better connectors is probably better but I wanted to test it using something quick. And as I said they do help to keep the wires separated. If you do use these connectors they don’t come in a usb B form so you will also need a usb A to usb B adapter.
The clear packing tape is what we all use for shipping packages, nothing special. Its just a little tricky to keep the wires in place until you place the second tape over them.

ozzy
I.have listened in my system  to every well know usb cable under $1500
the best one I have heard being the most harmonically natural and balanced frequency response is by a Final touch audio  for $850 retail is a great cable .
Lampizator US sells their brand and gave a 10 day Audition .