Magnepan LRS+ resistors on the tweeters… which?

I have a pair of LRS+ and after playing with the set-up positioning for a while I have finally found the spot where everything aspect of the sound is right apart from the treble: it is simply too high, and is tiresome after a couple of records.

But Magnepan knows it and fit a pair of sockets to allow the user to play with 10W resistors, ranged from 1 to 2 Ohm.

The resistors that come with the speakers are not the best and some users refer that they affect the sound too much.

So I wonder, what are the best resistors to fit in the LRS+ ?

audiofilo123

If so u may need an area rug for sound absorption. Too much reflection in a room will sound bright, glass, cement, any hard surface. Even going from leather furniture to fabric makes difference in sound. 

@daveteauk , I have several components of different brands and I didn’t consider me a fanboy of any of them, or all the numerous brands that I had for the past 35 years of audiophileness… Just happen to like this particular Naim combo in some system combinations, and other Naim components in others systems. Not every time I have been swept by Naim gear.

Note: I think that I never classified as garbage any of the many components that didn’t gel with any of my systems. Perhaps I am just lucky…

But like I said before, I have tried the LRS+ with 5 different amps so far… and the treble level, in the general balance, was too high FOR ME. In the OP I have shared my experiences and put some questions on this subject. In any case I stated that the LRS+ are less than great, apart from the mentioned “problem”. 
Spec wise and by experience, all of the amps used were well capable to drive a 4 Ohm / 85db speaker, but on the other hand the LRS+ are demanding for more…

As for the resistors, I have reading about mixed results (not only in this forum), some like them some don’t. My question to those who find the resistors beneficial is: what resistors, value and quality?

I am “listening” to all opinions (certainties) about the resistors, but because it is a feature incorporated in the speakers design (from the beginning) it makes sense to me to explore that, especially with parts better than the ones supplied. If it is really a foolish thing to do (meaning: certified way to kill the sound quality) so why do Magnepan designers insist on offer that feature, even in the top models?

To me is another part of the crossover, but just one that we can change the value.

More extreme users defend that he crossover itself and the back plate (fuses, fuse holder, metal magnetic bidding posts, shunt, cables) are total rubbish and we all should dismantle the all thing and… well you know… Magnepans are great but only after that amount of work.

Food for thought…

@pureclarity,

yes, all the ground floor in my house is thick poured concrete.

yes, I have a large thick rug between me and the speakers.

yes, my dedicated room is acoustically treated (walls and ceiling) and it is very well balanced. All my other speakers sound great.

Thanks to both for your time and valuable inputs.

Mills (12 watt) while not cheap are very nice without getting into high-end boutique (=$$$).  You can get them from Parts Express.

@markmuse I had some issues with the clarity of the LRS+. I loved the speaker, but I found it lacked the utmost in clarity. Not a deal breaker since it did so many other things well. I recently sold the LRS+ since I lost the room that was able to support the LRS+. In a smaller office space now.

When I added the Risers + the Riser jumper I found an immediate improvement in the sound. The clarity of the sound was improved, and the sound stage seemed better. Now I am not sure what was more important, the feet or the jumper. I put both on at the same time and was immediately impressed at the improvement in clarity and the soundstage.

The jumper was not something that I expected to be part of the Riser order. It came as a "bonus". 

@audiofilo123 I get your point on the treble of the LRS+. It is a little hot. I tamed that with 2 approaches. I used the Schitt Yggi+ Less is More DAC, which is a bit rolled off on top but a very enjoyable DAC. I am converting the LIM to the Yggi+ MIB since I no longer have the LRS+. 

An amp will also help solve this treble issue. My CODA #16 was very impressive with the LRS+. The amp is a bit warm and the bass on the LRS+ was the strongest of all the amps I used with the LRS+. 

Another amp (which I am selling) that is great with the LRS+ and seemed to control the treble was the Sanders Magtech. That has 500 watts at 8 and 900 watts at 4. It was made specifically for the Maggies (according to Roger Sanders).

I used the Sanders Magtech with the LRS+ and the CODA #16 with my Yamaha NS5000 speakers since that was the best pairings.