Mark Knopfler & James Taylor

You know that feeling you get when certain songs play. Songs like Wichita Lineman, White Bird, Nights in White Satin, etc.

There’s another one that’s about the Mason Dixon line of all things. It ‘gets’ me every time.

Mark Knopfler & James Taylor  Sailing to Philadelphia
Here’s a link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrLdKYRBOEE
What songs ‘Get’ you every time?

128x1281111art

@larryi 

Thanks for that post. Never heard of a different version of that song but it sounds very interesting.  I'll have to see if I can find it on CD.

What about "Hairway to Steven" by Butthole Surfers? A note about Procul Harum: I saw a strange concert in the early 70s with Humble Pie opening for Harum. Humble Pie were awful (dumb songs they couldn’t get off the ground) but man...Gary Brooker was, for me anyway, certainly one of the greatest live singers I’ve ever heard. Before or since. Miss that guy. Also, listing your favorite songs always is sort of strange as somebody, like me, thinks that a few listed here are simply unlistenable...but hey...there’s enough music around to keep me happy forever, and I'm stuck in a decades long Beatnik period listening to mostly jazz...new stuff amazes me every day.

Pretty much anything by Fleetwood Mac from the Rumours Album forward, but even the old Bare Trees album was good. Knopfler rocks...maybe my favorite artist ever. Almost anything he has done resonates with me. Emmy Lou Harris, has done a bucket load of great songs, some of the best with Mark Knopfler. There were a number of keepers on the old Trio album, with Linda Ronstadt, Emmy Lou and Dolly Parton. A fine collection on one piece of vinyl. Linda Ronstadt has done a bucket load of songs I like very much. Her album Winter Light was a great test album with some marvelous really deep bass and close miked vocals with so much shimmer and air, its just amazing. Its wwell recorded, clean and clear and an outstanding test for low bass and upper treble. I could go on and on but the mods might ding me for being verbose :)

Otis Redding - I've Got Dreams to Remember, and (Sittin' on) The Dock of the Bay

Several songs by Al Green including "Let's Get Married"

James Taylor - Fire and Rain

Stephen Stills - "Love the One You're With"

toddsyr, 

I like it when I discover that a song as additional verses that performers choose not to perform.  Some songs, like "Anything Goes" has a lot of verses that are no longer sung because they involve scandals that were well known at the time the song was written but have now been lost in time so no longer of interest to current listeners.  

There is an additional part to "White Christmas" that even has a different melody than the rest of the song that explains why the singer is "dreaming of a white Christmas" that is hardly ever performed because it seems a little out of place in the mood of the song.  That additional part goes:

The Sun is shining, the grass is green, 

The orange and palm trees sway,

There has never been such a day, 

in Beverly Hill, L.A.

But its December the 24th,

And I'm longing to be back North. . .

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas. . .

The extra verses to "seasons in the Sun" turn it into a ghostly stalker song:

Goodbye, Francoise, my faithful wife
Without you, I'd have had a lonely life
You cheated lots of times but then
I forgave you in the end