Mistakes I’ve made

Lending out audio gear!

Loaned a turntable to a relative- he tossed it in the trash when he was done with it and switched to cd

Loaned a turntable to a friend- he has no idea what happened to it 

Loaned a receiver and cassette deck to a relative- he bought a mini system and threw out my gear 

Loaned another receiver to a friend- got smashed 

what “why did I do that” moments have you had? 
128x128zavato
I've never loaned audio equipment to friends but I've loaned CDs and records that were never returned. I wish I had half of the amount of money I've loaned to people who never paid me back---I'd be pretty rich. My parents always told me never to loan people things unless you never want to see it again---they were right.
Post removed 
The thought that someone else will value things in the same fashion is a great setup for disappointment. Once I give it, it's gone, no longer mine. Shall I pretend that life is about protecting physical items that went another direction? No thank you! If they wish to destroy it, and the potential value it can bring to them, fine. Their problem. Obviously, all the intent in the world to make someone value things similarly doesn't work. So, why stress about it? 

Because when you borrow something you're only a temporary caretaker, and duty bound to return what you've borrowed, none the worse for the wear.