MM, MC, or MI cartridge

Can somebody briefly describe the difference in the sonic characteristics of these types of cartridge, if possible?

I’ve never had a MC and I’m wondering what difference it would make.

128x128rvpiano

On EBay, there is a GE VR 1000 for about $700. It is interesting since there are several stylus about $30. I am not a fan of setting up a cartridge. And I can’t imagine a 1000 will stand up to my Lyra Atlas SL. Love my Lyra.

Is it worth an experiment?

ghdprentice,

I’m just hoping the Hana will suit me at least as well as the Clearaudio did.

@rvpiano The Clearaudio cartridge you had is very good.  I have a Hana SL and like the sound better than the Clearaudio.  I've spent time listening to the ML on a friend's system and liked it even more than the SL.  I wouldn't say that you'll notice a dramatic difference, but you should notice more refinement and a very neutral presentation from the ML.  Please let us know how you like it once you get it.

If long term cost is an issue at all, van den Hul styli (medium output MC Cartridges) are shaped different and last considerably longer than others AND are replaceable. They also sound great. My last stylus lasted 2500-3000 hours and sounded the same until it totally disintegrated. 

I have mine (MC One Special) paired with a Sutherland Insight LPS on a Rega P8 and it is a great combination.