Most important fundamentals in your built/modded listening room?

Situation: We will be doing a basement renovation soon. At the moment, I don't have a full go-ahead to turn this room into a listening room. The room will be multipurpose for another 4 years (when the last kid goes to college). I am not working with $100k and an architect. This is about laying the groundwork for later adjustments.

Room:
  • The room is a rectangle: 27 ft. x 17 ft. x 8 or 9 ft.
  • (I say 8 or 9 foot ceilings because right now the rafters come down to 8 feet but the floor above is at 9 feet.)
  • Walls are unfinished, the ceiling is unfinished.
  • Two outside walls are concrete.
  • The floor is concrete.

There's a lot of literature out there, including a great article by Harley about building a listening room. https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/building-a-listening-room

But for now, as I said, I'm looking for ways I can PRE-PLAN fundamental elements of the room so that later it can be tweaked even further.

QUESTION: What would you suggest should be done that is fundamental to the build out of the space?
  • Wall construction?
  • Dimension modification (cannot make ceilings higher)
  • Electrical?
  • Other things?
Thanks in advance for your tips!
128x128hilde45
Great tool. Has more information than I have been able to absorb in this short time. In the past I have plotted modes for my room, though not accessed this program. My room that I will be moving into is 8.3 x 11.5 x 16.5 having the ratio of 1, to 1.3, to 2.0. Lower bass nodes are well distributed.

I agree that to keep the room size as large as possible while keeping the most ideal ratios, it would be best to leave the joist exposed and box in whatever plumbing is exposed using acoustic adsorption materials.  Thereby considering the 9' ceiling as the reference. 

Would is possible to divide the basement into 2 more equally sized room and accommodate your dedicated A.V objectives?

Thanks -- a combination of boxing in some things within the ceiling and leaving other things exposed would be fine, especially if all is covered by a homogenous screen of some kind (fabric).

A redivision of the room is possible but depends on many other factors. We’ll see.

Your new room’s fundamentals look great.

I saw a house in my neighborhood with a gambrel roof (#8) and wondered, "Is that the perfect roof for audio?"

Leaving the ceiling exposed is a good option. I like the industrial ceiling look you can Google industrial basement ceiling might give you some ideas. If you know where your speakers will set you can build some diffusion into the exposed joists.