Most rooms don’t need acoustical treatment.

Why?  Because acoustical treatments presented are in virtually empty rooms. Unrealistic.

my rooms have furniture and clutter.  These rooms don’t really have a need for treatment.  It’s snake oil, voodoo science.  
So why is accoustical panels gonna help?  No one can answer this, most have no clue.
jumia
I've got my system set up in our master bedroom with a big queen bed on one side of the room and nightstands on both sides. No, the room is not cluttered at all, but it also doesn't look like a typical listening room with monoblock speakers on the floor and industrial looking audio racks. WAF as well as my own visual acceptance factor were major considerations in the audio furniture that I put into this room.

I added one 2" acoustic panel on the one 1st order reflection in the hexagonal shaped room which balanced out the sound reflection time from the left and right speakers. With that one panel, my room is one of the best sounding rooms I've heard anywhere. The other sound absorbing furniture in the room helps, but doesn't necessarily address specific acoustic problems.
I think if people understood basics of what happens to a sound wave and what reverb means, the accoustical trade profession would collapse.

It aint that complex.  Heres what you need to know.

dont want reflected sound interfering with fist waves from a speaker. They collide and muddy sound.  Solution, buy an absorp panel.

buy a diffuser panel to also improve clarity without deadening all the sound. Why does it work?  It scatters sound better to room. Less collisions. Makes room seem bigger.

there it is, most of what i wished i knew alot earler.

it aint that complex, unless u want it to be.

I think if people understood basics of what happens to a sound wave and what reverb means, the accoustical trade profession would collapse.

It aint that complex. Heres what you need to know.

dont want reflected sound interfering with fist waves from a speaker. They collide and muddy sound. Solution, buy an absorp panel.
The first part is correct the simplification part is too simple and wrong...

It is a precise timing of early and late reflections, that will create the essential wavefront that will produce imaging,and soundstage...The interference from reflected sounds are not a problem and could be a solution if the timing is right....In fact reflection coming from the back can contribute greatly to the listener envelopment (LEV)... Then nothing can be simple before understanding it...I tried myself to figure it out, being ignorant in acoustic, in the last week when designing my "machanical equalizer" i just finish to refine it after a week of fine tuning...

My audio system sound right for the first time really,unbeknownst to me before... I refined my Helmholtz equalizer in listening choral music, orchestra, and very complex instrumental timbre like some harpsichord... But you know that all elements falls into place ONLY when the human voices are distinctly perceived each one in his space with his natural timbre...50 hours of listening experiments to adjust all pieces...Nothing is simple... 😁😊 Human ears are designed by evolution and history to perceive accurately timbre tonal speech in all circonstances...Music come ONLY from this fact save for the rythmic body movement accompanying language...

What is simple is buying a costly acoustic materials or gear....But it is not my way....I prefer peanuts costs....
But we cannot spare the use of a room nor spare the great amount of time for listenings experiments tough....The room may or may not cost peanuts....It is a WAF..... 
😁

«One is an auditory source width (ASW) which is defined as the width of the sound image fused temporally and spatially with a direct sound’s image and the other is listener envelopment (LEV) which is the degree of the fullness of sound images around the listener, excluding the sound image composing ASW.»Internet

I moved from a 5500 cu.ft. listening room of good but not great construction (windows to the side and front walls, 5/8" drywall & 5/8" acoustic wall material) which reflected too much sound despite my 2 pairs of Hallographs and full array of SR HFTs.  My new home has a near SOTA listening room with built-in bass traps (16" thick multi-material acoustic walls w/4 chambered activated charcoal filters, 12" - 15" 3000 psi steel bar reinforced slab, etc).  No windows, doors the same construction.  I still require those Hallographs and SR products for the mids and highs with side and ceiling acoustic foam treatment.  My audio system is wonderful now, getting the most out of 30 year old Legacy Focus speakers.   Not needing to change electronics (other than DAC) for 15+ years.  Cabling upgrades when manufacturer has made a breakthrough.  This is not the typical audiophile or listener setup.  However, my living room has silk and cotton battened wall treatment on front and rear walls which alleviate one open side and one side with full french doors.  (Oh yes, 90 oz carpet in each room).  The sound of the $5K audio system is also excellent.   Going to audio shows is a crapshoot due to the awful acoustics.  If a system can sound great there, something in the that system must be great (or most of the components).   Only 4 rooms competed in my last audio show in L.A. 2017.
Only 4 rooms competed in my last audio show in L.A. 2017.
Thanks interesting post...

I am not surprized at all tough..... 😁😊

Acoustic is most of there is about audio experience....