Musetec (LKS) MH-DA005 DAC

Some history: I was the OP on a four year old thread about the Chinese LKS MH-DA004 DAC. It achieved an underground buzz. The open architecture of its predecessor MH-DA003 made it the object of a lot of user mods, usually to its analog section, rolling op amps or replacing with discrete. The MH-DA004 with its new ESS chips and JFET analog section was called better then the modified older units. It has two ES9038pro DAC chips deliberately run warm, massive power supply, powered Amanero USB board, JFET section, 3 Crystek femtosecond clocks, Mundorf caps, Cardas connectors, etc., for about $1500. For this vinyl guy any reservation about ESS chips was resolved by the LKS implimentaion, but their revelation of detail was preserved, something that a listener to classic music especially appreciated. I made a list of DACs (many far more expensive) it was compared favorably to in forums. Modifications continued, now to clocks and caps. Components built to a price can be improved by costlier parts and the modifiers wrote glowingly of the SQ they achieved.

Meanwhile, during the 4 years after release of the MH-DA004, LKS (now Musetec) worked on the new MH-DA005 design, also with a pair of ES9038pro chips. This time he used more of the best components available. One torroidal transformer has silver plated copper. Also banks of super capacitors that act like batteries, solid silver hookup wire, 4 femtoclocks each costing multiples of the Crysteks, a revised Amanero board, more of the best European caps and a new partitioned case. I can't say cost NO object, but costs well beyond. A higher price, of course. Details at http://www.mu-sound.com/DA005-detail.html

The question, surely, is: How does it sound? I'm only going to answer indirectly for the moment. I thought that the MH-DA004 was to be my last DAC, or at least for a very long time. I was persuaded to part with my $$ by research, and by satisfaction with the MH-DA004. Frankly, I have been overwhelmed by the improvement; just didn't think it was possible. Fluidity, clarity, bass extension. A post to another board summed it up better than I can after listening to piano trios: "I have probably attended hundreds of classical concerts (both orchestral and chamber) in my life. I know what live sounds like in a good and bad seat and in a good and mediocre hall. All I can say is HOLY CRAP, this sounds like the real thing from a good seat in a good hall. Not an approximation of reality, but reality."

melm

Showing 13 responses by benzman

The 005 was delivered last week but I am having a little problem with one of my mono blocks so off it went for repair.

I just took delivery of a CODA CSiB integrated yesterday. So I am breaking them in together.

Also new to my system speaker wires ( Graceline L1) as my Silversmith Fideliums are not long enough.

Add in a Puritan 156 conditioner that is brand new and the coax cable being used  (Cary DMS 700 has no USB out when used as a music player /streamer) says Belden video on the jacket, it sounds pretty good out of the box and can see the potential.

I really don't like breaking in a few different components at a time, but really had no choice.

I have the Bricasti M3 here also but having a little trouble get it going. It was a demo so its broken in. Figured I will work on the 005 first . I have the setting set as recommended in the manual. Streaming Qobuz/Tidal and playing files from attached hard drive and integrated SD card in the Cary.

Will report back in a few weeks .

Russ

Oops. No USB out on the Cary. Only SPDIF and Toslink. The Cary will output  all resolutions but it looks like the 005 decodes up to 192 thru those inputs That will be fine I guess to check it out. Is anybody using coax? I wouldn’t think so. 

I will see if my buddy will bring his streamer over. I am pretty sure usb is a step up from the coax input. 

What side of neutral would you guys consider the 005 to be ? I have Persona 5 f ‘s dialed in right know with a Cary DMS 700 and cabling on the neutral side

I had a Lumin T2 in the system and sounded fantastic for 8 out of ten songs. The Sabre Dac was just too revealing with the brighter Personas and their Beryllium tweeter and midrange.
 Would really like to pull the trigger on this but just worried about returning it if it doesn’t work  

Thanks  for the input

Thanks for replies

@sns. I had The Merlin VSM MXR with the Master Bam . Great speaker. My buddy has a pair of Black Magic’s that he bought from Bobby about a year before he passed. They are for sale if you know anybody

While chipsets may not tell the whole story each manufacture has their house sound. An AKM will never sound like a Sabre (at least not the dacs I have been thru). 
My system sounds real good but I know there is more. My room is dead quiet, < 30db.  Just looking for a little more transparency and a little “bite”. To me smooth is not the best thing in audio. Live performances are certainly not smooth.   
I will have a Bricasti M3 with streamer in the house soon and going to grab the 005 and will see how it plays out. 

@steakster   The voltage problem is in the summer mos during the day. Right now at 118-120 so all is good.  The electric co is actually bringing in more power into the corridor. Couple year project. 

Not sure how long shipping takes to get the 005, the Bricasti M3 should be here early next week. It’s a demo so already broken in.  I will give the 005 plenty of break in. I will be using an Audience AU 24se MP for power and Townshend pods for vibration   I usually upgrade the fuse but might not make much of a difference with 005 power design. If anybody is squeezing any more sq with a fuse please post. 

The Cary will stream Qobuz,Tidal and serve 24/192 flac and wav files from attached USB drive and integrated SD card   Only have SPDIF to test but if I keep it will get a USB streamer/server. 

Ordered. I will run Cary as a streamer. I had a  original Curious usb before  when I had separates.  Any latest and greatest cables out there? 

@debjit_g  The Cary DMS 700 does sound really good. It’s feature set is unsurpassed, weighs 25 lbs and has a 80 page manual. It really is a great value. 

I am just looking for something with a little more resolution or transparency and a tad more ‘bite’.  In the past I have had seperate streamers ( Bryson, Auralic,Aurender) and dacs( eastern electric , Modwright tube) and combos of Aurender A10, Lumin T2, Cary DMS 600 and my Current DMS 700. 
I am hoping the 005 has the resolution of the T2 with the smoothness the Cary. 

There are worse things then shipping back a piece of equipment if it doesn’t work out. Got keep this hobby fun!!

I take it not a tru balanced design. Anybody try XLR vs Single ended?

I got 24 hrs on it and it’s sounds pretty damn good. That’s thru a $20.00 coax. 

I am selling/returning the 005. Just couldnt beat out what I have already here.

3 weeks old $2,700   I have a quote thru UPS of 234.00 from Michigan to ship back to China.

If anyone decides to buy this in the the future definitely spend the few extra bucks and buy in USA.  Not worth the hassle  

Ok a few Caveats though:

I had a problem with one of my mono blocks that had to go in for repair  I received my Musitec with nothing to listen with till the Coda Csib arrived. Cost me over a week of my trial. 
The Musitec was fed by my current Cary DMS 700 thru coax streaming Qobuz,Tidal and files from the HD and SD.  No way of optimizing the USB input of the 005 which I am sure is it’s best input. Gave it about 8 days and figured I would try the Bricasti M3 using the same inputs. It was not even close. The Bricasti was on such a higher level there was no amount of break in time or input challenging that would get the 005 near the level of the Bricasti. 
The M3 is so refined, just another animal , soundstage depth, layering of instruments, delicacy of cymbals and percussion. Just in another league. 
The Bricasti was a demo w/network card ( which I didn’t use during the comparison) for 40% off list with full 2 year warranty.  So the numbers also worked in the Bricasti’s favor. 
I am sure the 005 is a great value but certainly at least in my system could not compete with the Bricasti which is 6500 list price so it’s really not a fair comparison.   
I had already ordered the 005 when the Bricasti came available or I would not have tried it. It just cemented how good the Bricasti is. 

@yysantababara

I am shipping from Mich. You may be shipping from the west. Just to get the Dac to Cali. Is 75.00. 
Wish I would have known you wanted black I would have ordered it that way😀

I had just sold my Rogue RP7 with NOS tubes prior to getting the 005

I miss it already. My Dac was my only source so it didn’t make sense to me to use a 5k linestage for one source. Maybe a tube buffer down the road  

I have a bunch of higher end cables coming in this week to hopefully fine tune the system