Music first or sound first?

I just thought it might be interesting to take a poll of those that put sound first and those that claim they put music first in listening to their rigs.

128x128rvpiano

A catch 22 question as both are important. We probably all fell in love with music first as that is what communicated to us and continues to touch us in a deep way. Then we were exposed to that music being played on a HiFi set up and what grabbed us was how great the music sounded and what detail we had been missing on the radio or a more modest music system. With music my friends phrase 'too much music too little time' springs to mind as I continue to seek out  new artists, but at the same time sound is key too. So I'm going to cheat, and say I put both first, it's not an either, or - but both that deliver me enjoyment.

Growing up, my parents owned a small, indie record store in Denver back in the late 70s and early 80s. It's where I not only was exposed to my parents' taste in music that ran the gamut from the delta blues, R&B, soul, jazz, rock, zydeco, swamp pop, rockabilly, and classical but also allowed me to discover my musical taste for punk, ska, reggae, dub, early hip hop, new wave, industrial, Americana, early ambient and electronic music as well.  My mid-fi setup has always been about the music and upgrading over time has been a way to enjoy my collection even more. Graduating from the early Montgomery Ward all-in-one stereo I had as a kid to the hand-me-down separates my father gave me was a gateway to finally hearing the music in a way that was just not possible via the radio.

Now I'm in my early 50s and there isn't a day that doesn't go by where I'm not listening to music. Whether it's casual background music or later at night after the kids are in bed and I can put my headphones on and enjoy a few hours of purposeful listening - revisiting old favorites or discovering new artists or new-to-me albums/artists I ignored in my early years. It's not about getting the absolute perfect sound, just the best sound for enjoying music. 

A person who’s a natural tinkerer / gear person and just likes the science / tech side of things? More power to ya.

And bad mastering is just a bad, bad thing.

However, it’s very sad to me to think a person couldn’t enjoy beautiful music because the recording doesn’t resemble whatever their idea of a “well-recorded piece of music” is.  
For a multitude of reasons, I find that very sad.

I haven’t read all the threads here but I suspect more people voted for music, even if they aren’t being truthful