Music first or sound first?

I just thought it might be interesting to take a poll of those that put sound first and those that claim they put music first in listening to their rigs.

128x128rvpiano

A person who’s a natural tinkerer / gear person and just likes the science / tech side of things? More power to ya.

And bad mastering is just a bad, bad thing.

However, it’s very sad to me to think a person couldn’t enjoy beautiful music because the recording doesn’t resemble whatever their idea of a “well-recorded piece of music” is.  
For a multitude of reasons, I find that very sad.

I haven’t read all the threads here but I suspect more people voted for music, even if they aren’t being truthful 

I know many listeners who do not care much about the music, but do care about the reproduction of the music. This to me, is sad. Maybe I place music 1st because I was a singer in a choral group and a local band in my youth. I also took music classes in school, and both of those taught me the appreciation of music. I can enjoy the music on my patio outdoor speakers mounted under the eve, and a blue tooth speaker on a blanket at the beach. If you are not receiving an emotional connection with the message of the performances ( the music ), then, you are putting the sound, and the equipment,1st. Lying to oneself is ok with me, but I cannot live without listening to music....anywhere. I believe someone here mentioned listening to Sticky Fingers, and mentioned some songs " sounded " much better than others. I agree, but the " performances " by the Stone’s members, is what I listen for. After all, this is a " recording " that I am listening to, and if I am in the mood to hear Sticky Fingers, it is the singing of Mick Jagger, the mighty fine guitar playing of Mick Taylor ( 2 Micks ) and Keith Richards, the rhythm playing of Charlie Watts and Bill Wyman, and lest not forget the other musicians here, including Bobby Keys, Billy Preston, and a few other incredible musicians. The music is the connection for me. My rig.....allows me to hear more of it. And, feel it ! Better sound reproduction = I hear more of it. My best, MrD.