Music first or sound first?

I just thought it might be interesting to take a poll of those that put sound first and those that claim they put music first in listening to their rigs.

128x128rvpiano

Music first.

I did read all the posts...some thoughtful, insightful and honest commentary.

I recall hearing Nat King Cole’s voice at around 5 years old and associate that with my Dad’s reel-to-reel that was in a small suitcase.

I bought my first "hi-fi" from the Sear’s catalogue with lawn mowing money when I was 9 or 10. $129.77 cents. I pretended to be sick so I could stay home from school the day it was due to be delivered.

I helped my Dad pick out a JVC separates system that cost $1,270 in time for Xmas when I was around 12. The first records played on it were Rumors, Band on the Run, Toys in the Attic, Animals, Time Out, Don’t Shoot me I’m only the Piano Player, and some Oscar and Ella records.

Today we travel with a B&O A1.

I started the audiophile journey Xmas 2018 when my wife bought me a $100 BT record player to connect with our 5.1 AV system. I played the DSOTM album that came with the gift once, and had to tell her it would ruin the record, so I sent it back and bought a Pro-Ject carbon debut. It also sucked so I kept going.

5 years later...I still enjoy the music first but when I sit down for a dedicated listening session, the recording matters...a lot; and that’s when the system takes over, and it’s pretty awesome.

Something to consider… if it weren’t for the music, we wouldn’t even be having this discussion. The music came first.

For critical listening SQ is a big factor. Now that my ears have been spoiled with a fairly good rig I cant even listen to some of my old favorite songs that are fair to poor recordings. I think better systems bring out the best in good recordings and the worst in fair to bad recordings.

Yet,  Im ok with wife's blue tooth JBLs by the pool where its just background music.

I do now appreciate other music that I use to not like if its a quality recording.

Ex. Bought an Analog Production lp of various female singers. Some I knew I liked others no. Judy Collins Diamonds and Rust was an instant turn off on the radio, but this Analog Production version sounds so good its my go to for showcaseing my rig to friends. 

It’s interesting how tech advancements have gone the other way with music.  
Even 20 years ago, the likelihood that one would have a pair of speakers larger than the size of a baseball with a receiver and CD player was much higher than today.  
Now it’s a speaker the size of a baseball just spitting out streaming service data.  
Retail shops seem totally okay with their “in-store music” being whatever shrill noise pollution the checkout person behind the counter is spitting out of their cell phone speaker.  
It seems like poor ol’ music has got it comin’ & goin’; bastardized by modern consumerism and, conversely, merely fodder for gear heads to listen to their gear.  
There’s got to be a better middle ground.

Normal music listening used to be: tuner-or-TT-or-cassette deck-or-CD player —> integrated amp / receiver —> speakers-larger-than-a-baseball.  
That setup was not “audiophile,” it was just normal. Audiophiles merely had more advanced versions (better individual pieces, separates, etc.).  
Now the standard for “normal” has dropped to truly pitiful levels.

Perfect World Scenario: the vast majority of people had a normal / non-pitiful method of music-listening, and audiophiles merely enjoyed music via their more advanced method, devoid of the dismissals and narrow-mindedness that accompanies the “I only listen to ‘well-recorded music’ mindset.”

@rvpiano  I view music and sound quality as two completely separate issues. Most of the music I listen to is on lower quality devices. I am addicted to music. It is playing at least 90% of the time I am awake, in the car, the shop, the bathroom, the workout room, the garage and finally my media room. At best only 10% is in the media room with the main system. Music is an addiction, stereo is a hobby.