New Esoteric P02 D02

Hello,

Seems like there is a new set up separates from Esoteric. The P02 D02. Hven't seen any info out there at all, but it is for sale already at retailers. Not a substitute of the P03 D03 as expected, that are still selling as well, but a new category in between de 01s and 03s. DACs and inputs seem like an upgrade of the K01.

Anyone has any info, or heard of this? You can read about it at Esoteric parent company home page (in Japan but in English).

Price in Europe is 3.000 Euros higher than the 03s per unit (so +6000 EUros higher in total)

Any feedback, info news?

Thanks
Eli
eelii08
If I have P-02/D-02 with G-0Rb, how I should connect them, as G-0Rb supports max 176.4kHz only.

1) G-0Rb (176.4kHz) --> P-02
+ G-0Rb (176.4kHz) --> D-02

2) G-0Rb (176.4kHz) --> D-02 (22.579MHzHz) --> P-02

Given all other factors equal, and I totally prefer highest resolution sound, is (1) or (2) recommended from the technical/engineering point of view?

I am aware that general connection is (1), BUT

- in page 6 of D-02 owner's manual http://www.teac.co.jp/audio/manual_esoteric.html

- in page 42 of this powerpoint http://esoteric.teac.com/download/P-02/Downloads/P-02:D-02_Power_Point.ppt

they indicate using connection (2)

Any thought from technical/engineering point of view?

Thanks.
Hi Opera Lover. Haven't read the documents you attach. I will.

But I had in my house the P02/D02 with the old G-0Rb for a trial and the sound was fantastic. Great improvement. I did use 1). Both units connected to the clock. I would imagine that is the best way of doing it by far. Did not even imagine connecting it the 2) way so can not comment but the whole point of it is the accuracy of the clock signal, I think.

Anyway try it. I think the advantage should be evident of 1) over 2) but let us know. As I said here, when I deciding to buy the new G-0 I tried first the 02s with the old model. The gain was great. It improved with the new clock even farther.

But the gain was greater from going with no clock to the G-0rb, than that of going from the old model to the new model. So enjoy.

I have just asked esoteric of the same question, here is their reply (applicable to G-0Rb only, NOT G-01)

"Because a PLL circuit of P-02 isn't used, connection 2 is more simple than 1 as circuit.
Please try connection 2."

If I understand correctly,
using (1), sync freq between P-02/D-02 is at 176.4kHz, and P-02's PLL is in the loop
using (2), sync freq between P-02/D-02 is at 22.579MHzHz (and PLL is OUT of the loop), and the source reference clock is provided by G-0Rb (not oscillator inside D-02)

IF the above understanding is correct, if the clock is G-0Rb or G-0s, (2) should be better in technical theory?

I have not tried the 2 different connection yet, as I am still burning in P-02/D-02 now (close to 200 hours mark)

Regards,...
Hi Guys, Hi Eelii, How are the tunes with the 9500's? I have been trialing the Synergistic Research Element cords with the latest Powercell mk3 ! This is a very different sound and really works well with jazz and rock for me, but the jury is still out!
As for the clock, Tim Crable from Esoteric e-mailed me and gave me the
" best way" to hook up the clock is both P-02 & D-02 directly to the clock and use the A1 & A2 ports turning off all other off. There were several reasons stated for this and it was the G-01 , not the Grb, but the logic is the same. As for the output, when you hook up to the Word in BNC on both the D-02 & P-02, I assume you went into the menu and turn off the word out on the D-02, that bypasses the clock in the D-02, and the P-02 has no clock so the combo cannot see a signal from the D-02!
Eelii, Have had the SR cords and Powercell for two weeks, have barely listened to them, baby has had all the attention. Tough to listen to music with a two week old baby ! But my impressions so far are very favorable! With jazz and rock very helpful in expanding the dynamics that may be squelched with the recording process. But there is an element of change to the music I cannot explain yet. How are the 9500's in your system? I will keep all posted of my findings... Got to get back to Madagascar, seen this movie fifty times... Funny what a 2 year old gets obcessed with! I wonder if music will be next, Hmmmm, better get a good education, this is cheap!