New Speakers under consideration - but I’m afraid

I really like my speakers but I am considering an upgrade. I have B&W 801 S2 MkIII that I bought new in 1999 (re-coned with modded x-over). I’m afraid that what I get will not equal them and new may  just be different.

They are bi-amped with McIntosh up top and Krell on the bottom. Analog is Revox B77 and dig is Oppo 105D with Bryston DAC3.

I will also likely upgrade the DAC but this thread is about speakers.

I need a dynamic loudspeaker that is as good with chamber music as it is with acoustic jazz, rock and electronic music (everything but Country and Rap).

I haven’t heard anything yet but am considering Borrersen X3, Wilson Sasha and B&W 803 D4.

Should I be afraid or will these speakers all best a 25 yr old design?

ritter06

I don't have a recommendation, but I can relate to your dilemma. I was considering an upgrade to my Von Schweikert VR-4 speakers (purchased in the late 90's) , but was concerned that I would spend the money and not be happy. I decided to stay with Von Schweikert.  The new speakers are a definite improvement and likely my last pair of speakers. 

@sls883 

Very confusing. You say you stayed with the VS speakers, then you say the new speakers are an improvement. Which is it?

I am also a bit confused, @ozzy62 , but maybe he meant he went with a new set of Von Scheikerts.  

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I’ve been around long enough to know that showroom audition may be an indicator, but once you get them home with different room and electronics, the result will very likely vary.

And home for me is Nassau, Bahamas so returning them, even if an option- is not an option (after shipping and duty etc.)

I guess a more general question might be are  speakers today (>$15k) better than their 25 year old equivalents?