New Speakers under consideration - but I’m afraid

I really like my speakers but I am considering an upgrade. I have B&W 801 S2 MkIII that I bought new in 1999 (re-coned with modded x-over). I’m afraid that what I get will not equal them and new may  just be different.

They are bi-amped with McIntosh up top and Krell on the bottom. Analog is Revox B77 and dig is Oppo 105D with Bryston DAC3.

I will also likely upgrade the DAC but this thread is about speakers.

I need a dynamic loudspeaker that is as good with chamber music as it is with acoustic jazz, rock and electronic music (everything but Country and Rap).

I haven’t heard anything yet but am considering Borrersen X3, Wilson Sasha and B&W 803 D4.

Should I be afraid or will these speakers all best a 25 yr old design?

ritter06

imho, resale value is a terrible reason to buy anything.  buy it, love it, use it up.  

Absolutely.... your kids will sell it for peanuts when you die anyway!    Enjoy now.   It's like having a classic car you don't drive.   Why save it for the next guy?

@OP There are a lot of used Wilson speakers around because people upgrade to newer Wilsons.

On B&W's - there's no guarantee you will like the latest generation better - they are certainly not a speaker I would choose for chamber music.

Magico A5s are worth listening to - more evenly balanced that D4 B&Ws but somewhat similar in character.

Personally, I would prefer the Sasha DAW but, while the thread is not about digital, I would not compromise the budget for a digital front end upgrade because, especially with more modern speakers, you are really going to need it.

In fact, I would suggest looking at that before changing speakers at all.

My pick would be Joseph Audio Perl. Kharmas are also dynamic with a good authority. Dynaudio confidence 50 should be also very good. I would look YG or Rockport over Wilson or BW. Later brands looks beautiful but the sound never moved me. 

Its SO subjective but as a rule: Wilsons are holographic, B&Ws are rowdy and in your face, and I've never heard Borresons so I can't opine. 

One poster mentioned Maggies. I 100% agree. Get the 1.7s with a pair of REL 7 subs. It's transformational.