New SS Integrated vs fix Krell 400xi

Greetings,

Have not changed system for about 15 years or so and mainly now use for TV (including youtube music) rather than critical listening.  Music is mainly rock/EDM.  NYC apartment so somewhat volume limited.

System is: TV optical/Computer usb into Benchmark DAC 1 USB  balanced inputs into Krell KAV 400xi into Totem Forest (entry level transparent wires).  Purchased Krell in 2006 on Audiogon so it has had a good run.

The Krell now produces a high level of distortion and would need to be sent to Krell for service. Not sure what cost estimate would be but speculate probably close to the $1k range.  

Thinking about simply moving to a different SS integrated (new or nice pre-owned).  Been looking at the Arcam 25a, Cambridge CXA81, Hegel H160 or 190, Naim Nait 5si. The first three are interesting for built in dac but not required since have the Benchmark (probably 2008 vintage).  Would ideally like something that does not run as hot as Krell if changing.  Looking to keep at around the $2k or less.

Would appreciate members perspective on repair vs new gear and what new integrated would be a good match with Forests.  Thanks all!

Andy

dokosan

I dont know how the Hegel matches up with your Totems but I demo’d the little Hegel Rost in my system with a pair of Focal 926s and was impressed enough that if I ever move to an integrated Hegel will be at the top of the list. I would describe the sound as rich and warm ish.  Kinda smoothed out the edge of the Focals at >75db.  

My $.02