Open Baffle Experience

Much has been said about open baffles, including an epic website by the late, great Dr. Linkwitz but I've only heard them really once, playing absolutely garbage music (thanks Pure Audio!) at a hotel.

I'm talking here about dynamic drivers in single baffles without enclosures, not ESLs or Magneplanar type systems.

I'm curious who has had them, and who kept them or went back to "conventional" boxes?

I'm not really looking to buy speakers, but I did start thinking about this because of a kit over at Madisound made with high quality drivers.

erik_squires

@mwatsme - I don't believe the Spatial X4 uses a horn. I think the tweeter is an AMT design with a wave guide to control dispersion, but operated as a dipole (i.e. open in the back).

What kenjit overlooks is that drivers and crossovers can be selected and tailored for their specific application.  What may sound good in one configuration may not in another.  Expensive boxes with exotic hardwoods or automotive finishes may not contribute to the sound as much as they would the WAF and eye appear.  

What kenjit overlooks is that drivers and crossovers can be selected and tailored for their specific application. 

That is not true. Open baffle designs are WRONG. They emit sound that is out of phase out the back end. If you can show me an open baffle design that can emit sound IN PHASE not OUT OF PHASE from the back end then I will happily throw my box speakers away and we can all enjoy perfect sound with no cabinet resonances. I dare you

I ran various Alon/Nola speakers for well over ten years, went to box speakers, could never not hear the box contribution to sound, big mistake. Now into horns, 99.999% certain I'll never have another box speaker. I've heard Spatials lately, reminded me of my Alons, my horns have yet another distinct set of sound qualities.

My experience with such speakers is limited.  I remember hearing the Spatial speakers at a show but can't quite remember the sound.

But my general experience with dipoles (including my Quad ESL 63 with a dipole Gradient subwoofer), is that the sound was at first intoxicating "wow, it's so free of box coloration! I'm seeing right in to the recording."

The problem was that they didn't excite the room the same way. There was much less "feel" of the music - lacking the sense of instruments really being there, pushing air in the room.  So it was a bit more of an audiophile-intellectual experience.   I found going back to well designed box/forward radiators to be generally much more satisfying.  Of course it's all about compromises..