Ortofon A90 with Graham Phantom

Looking at the top of this cartridge there are 3 little tabs. One at the front and 2 at the back. The top of the cartridge does not make contact with the headshell on its entire surface. Also, with the Graham, the cartridge is further back in the slots for correct alignment making one of the tabs at the back not make contact at all with the headshell.

After aligning it with my Mint LP and securing the screws, viewing the cartridge from the front, i can see a small gap between the top of the cartridge and the headshell and the cartridge is "tilted" ever so slightly to one side because only 2 of the tabs are making contact with the headshell.

Are you experiencing the same?
Thanks
smoffatt
If I were experiencing this problem I would be tempted to place a small amount of Blutak between the top of the cartridge and the tonearm. This should both ensure a good bond and to a slight degree lessen the effect of arm resonances on the cartridge. I can recall receiving a small amount of a similar substance for this purpose from a manufacture back in the early 90s , I cannot recall whether I ever tried it. You could take a Dremel tool and remove the offending tabs but the first suggestion is the less intrusive. In a perfect world all cartridges would be easy to align and install, but in ours things like this happen occasionally.
I am not sure how anyone could give advise to grind away an integral part of a cartridge, let alone a 4k cartridge. And Stanwal is a dealer - oh my god.

Hi Smoffat.

I have a Phantom and A90 and I know the problem you are experiencing. I also use the mint tractor. The phantom is wide but not very deep, so it is impossible for all 3 ridges to be in contact with the headshell, only the front ridge.

Your alignment does not sound quite right. The back of the A90 should be parallel. Either both of the back ridges will be seated on the headshell or none will be. Otherwise your cartridge body will be twisted slightly left or right.
I would go through all parts of the alignment again to double check.

With my A90, both the back ridges do not touch the headshell, only the front ridge. My A90 with the phantom is now aligned similar to the jubilee which has only one ridge down the centre - you just need to tighten the screws slowly to ensure the cartridge is level horizontally.

You now have me thinking that my SRA will be off - even level headshell the actual cartridge will be slightly back down. damm

I know a couple of other folks with Phantom / A90's, so hopefully they will chime in as well.
" You now have me thinking that my SRA will be off - even level headshell the actual cartridge will be slightly back down. damm "

Brain fade gents - Doh

The back of cartridge will be slightly up - probably close to the 92% SRA that Fremer.
I say that if the cartridge doesn't fit as intended with the "bumps" positioned in the headshell, you are defeating its intended design by "making it fit". Those bumps I am sure are there for the same reason you put cones under your preamp. I would not choose that cartridge for that arm, unless it could fit properly.