Overkill for small room

Hello all - long time lurker, first time poster. I've enjoyed reading so many of these posts, and I feel like I'm learning so much from you guys. Thank you for that.

I am strongly considering a pair of Dynaudio 20i - I am aware they require serious amplification - but I suspect that they'll be too much for a small room

Room specs: (11 wide by 14 long, normal ceiling height with acoustical tile, carpet tile covering one entire wall, wall-to-wall carpet on top of cement slab, no basement).

Am I nuts? 

Thank you in advance.

letshearit

any suggestions?

I don't want you to have any health issue. So your wife's suggestion is the best 😊

Welcome letshearit ...

Dyns are an excellent choice for an all-arounder.  Location and treating the dedicated space to them is a great start.  IF you are on a learning curve, building around a beloved speaker choice, integrated amplification is a fine approach.  If digital source only, tubes somewhere is a must for me.  I ran similar sized, power hungry Salk Veracity loudspeakers for several years in my small, dedicated space, successfully.  

Upgrading (yes) to a smaller Revolution Be (more detail in my posts) loudspeaker and adding a Rythmik L12 sealed subwoofer while rolling off my Music Reference tube amplifier at 80Hz to the monitors provides tons of dynamics and musicality.  The EL84 tube 4some provide whopping thunder to the Be's, while retaining delicacy.  letshearit, I suspect adding a similar subwoofer approach to the Dynaudios would yield a similar result. 

Bon Chance and welcome to the worlds of even-order harmonics!  Find someone nearby with whom you are comfortable as an Advisor, then trust your ears and judgement.  It's a fun ride.     

More Peace, Pin                   (bold print for old eyes)

So I have a small music room, 11.5 x11.5 x 9.5.  I have Wilson Sabrina X's, a REL s/510 sub, an MSB DAC, ARC REF 6 preamp and a Pass Labs 250.8.  The Wilsons are fantastic in my room .  . . very pleased.  I can't say anything about the Dynaudios, but I can say that a smaller room than yours can handle a good sized floor stander like the Sabrina X's.  My next move will be to do a full treatment on the room!

moto_man

That assemblage must be terrific.   Would love to hear from you after the room tuning is complete. Buckle up!

More Peace.        Pin 

I’ve ran the Confidence series and Heritage Specials. My HS are in about the same size room as you’re referencing. I use the standard issued Dyn stands for the speakers, along with the HS plate. I recommend you fill whichever stands you go with. I used aquarium rocks, they come in various sizes and is rather inexpensive and not messy.

I use the Dynaudio Sub6 with the HS and it sounds fantastic. The HS are little boomers for their size, but the sub does help at with the low Hz.

I’ve ran various amps, but one thing is consistent, Dyn’s need current. I’ve ran McIntosh, Pass Labs and PS Audio amps in various flavors. I would not run McIntosh with Dyn again, sound fell apart if you got on it. The Confidence series do need room to breath off the wall, considerably. The HS seem to operate great in a traditional space/corner set up; they’re set about 2 feet from side and back.

Room acoustics are key, I’ve used both room treatment, along with a DSP and produced great results. I would get your speaker toe/placement set first, then add treatment(s), then settle if you need something like a Dirac or DEQX Premate.