PC-Audio vs. High-end CD Player-GAME OVER

Hi All,
I just auditioned the Wavelength Audio Cosecant DAC on a very nice system at the local dealer. It was run through a Hovland 200 preamp , a Plinius amp and Avalon Eidolon Diamond speakers. This is all in a very well treated, good-sounding room.
It was, in a word spectacular. Beautiful tone, excellent bass, imaging soundstaging, etc. What was really amazing was a sense of space, or ambience that was imparted. We then compared the same CD's (Diana Krall, Jennifer warnes, some jazz), on a Levinson CDP. I'm not saying that the levinson is the last word in players, but it was what he had on the shelf.While it sounded good, it was much more bright, and "constricted".
Control was through an Imac using I-tunes, and the CD's had been nurned using Apple Lossless.
I ordered my Crimson on the spot.

David
deshapiro
Hi All,
Just to clarify. Wavelength Audio makes several different USB DACs, designed to take the feed from a hard drive via a USB cable. The Cosecant is the middle range DAC and the Crimson is higher up the food chain. We weren't using an Ipod. We were using an Imac computer running I-tunes as the archival/control software. Regular Redbook CD's were burned to the HD of the I mac computer via Apple Lossless, a rippping scheme designed to preserve all the information on the CD. The computer was acting as the transport for the DAC. The output of the DAC was then run into the preamp, exactly as you would a regular CD player.
As to the sound, if you think that it was euphonic, take it up with Gordan Rankin, the designer. I only know that I really liked it. I've had the SCD-1, the Accuphase DP-85, the EMM Labs DAC6/CDSD (not sig) and the Esoteric X-01 Limited, so i have a fair idea of what I like and dislike.

David
As to the sound, if you think that it was euphonic, take it up with Gordan Rankin, the designer.

Huh? I was just offering an explanation for the very different sound that you heard - that's all. I suggest is unlikely to be caused by using a PC and most likely an effect from the DAC.

No criticism was intended at all. I have no axe to grind with Gordan Rankin, whoever he may be...

Since you heard a big difference it seems there might be an explanation no?

Sorry but I thought your statement "Game-Over" rather implied the end of CD players as a decent source. Naturally I think this is a slight exaggeration....and believe you found a sound that you personally like rather than a new paradigm in audio...
No, you understood me the first time. There is still a place for CD's and CD players. But when hard-drive playback is this good, and this conveient, Cd's are on their way out. The only thing missing now is high resolution downloads, then CD's will be no longer. The issue of how much I liked the sound, euphonic or not , is secondary to the utter convenience of this setup. The excellent sonics of this source, to my ears, is icing on the cake. If it had only been as good, I still would have made this post.
David
My good friend Mick at Quintessence Audio in Morton Grove, Il has such a system right now on display. Give him a call and listen for yourself.
I think you will be impressed.
One of the big things about this effort is the error correction done by the iTunes software. Click the box: Use error correction when reading Audio CDs.
This is key.
I do think this is the future.
I am in the process of setting up a MacBook Pro to act as my music server jukebox.
It is a lot of fun.
And I have been wondering what to do with all the cds I have. Sometimes I overlook music because my library storage system sucks {shelves and leather boxes}. It's easier to scroll down a screen and find the album, than look through a room full of shelves. Espescially if it sounds as good or better than the world class CD player I now own. Now I can be really lazy and never have to get up from my chair and change a disc. Drink red wine and be happy.
Oh, one other thought.
Who is Gordon Rankin ??????.
I suggest you find out.
The man is one hell of a designer and knows his stuff.
I have always respected his work.
The guy is a long time player in the industry.
Show a little respect.