Phono preamp for a Denon 103R cartridge.

Hi all. After picking up a new cartridge, and moving the upstairs stereo to a different room, I began to think about where to take the next step with that system. I'm not going to digitize my vinyl. I am just going to savor it, without collecting too many more LPs. Theoretically. But I'd like to best the ProJect DS2 Phono Box USB, if possible. For under $1500, with lower being favored rather "stretching" for an $1800 item. I just don't think my collection or systems warrant such a leap.

The table is a Denon DP 3000NE. The preamp is a Pass X2.5, and I'll use the low gain setting. I'm mildly interested in a phono pre that has XLR output, but it's not crucial. I'm most interested in what might go well with this cartridge primarily.

This morning I'm leaning toward a JC3 Jr, and on other days I have wondered about a Hagerman, but six tubes will mean spending a bit more. A Sutherland. perhaps? Or something with front panel adjustments?

Thanks for your consideration.

zarf

Schiit Mani 2 for $160. Why pay more? Go read Michael Fremer's review on The Tracking Angle. He likes it alot.

BTW, I have a new DL103R on my  new Pioneer PLX1000 TT. It's an excellent affordable mc cartridge! I use a Bellari SUT into the RGR 4 preamp.

+1 @jasonbourne71 

I have an older Schiit Mani that I bought as a backup 5 years ago. I had to swap it in place of my expensive main phono preamp that was tubed and modified with all new caps , etc. I threw my Benz Micro Glider, 1.1mv, via my Vpi Scoutmaster into a 4k tubed preamp, a Krell KAV 250 amp and a pair of Dunlavy SC 3's and couldn't believe my ears. Okay, not a real high end unit in terms of resolution, total punch and separation. But, my goodness, for the price I sure could live with it if I had to. I have had other good Schiit gear and their stuff punches way above their price point. You can't go wrong. Good luck.