Poor bass and treble.

I’ve owned a 5.1 set of Klipsch Synergy 2 (sf-2 floor standers, and a ksw-12 subwoofer) for about 10 years. I’ve always been very pleased how they sound, until I upgraded my receiver (Yamaha to-v377. Now the bass is either way too strong or way too weak. Often it’s not there when you want it (gun shots and explosions) and overbearing when you don’t want it (dialogue, and ambiance). I’ve been fiddling with settings for a long time, but can’t seem to make more than minor improvements. Any tweaking I can do or is the receiver I have just known to have anemic bass response?
pcieluck
Sorry I haven’t replied in a few days. I’ve been trying hat process periodically for a couple years. I don’t see any option to adjust ohms in the setup. How do I ultimately rule out this being a poor receiver? It seems improbable that it would take this much tinkering to make this >$2000 set of speakers sound better than my $50 headphones, or the stock speakers in my car.

but on the other hand, I’d hate to waste money on a new receiver and still have lack-luster results. 

Yamaha receivers can usually be configured for 8 ohm or 6 ohm speakers (6 ohm setting usually works for 4 ohm speakers as well).  The Klipsch are spec as 8 ohm, but you never know how low the impedance can drop.

I would suggest downloading and reading the manual for your receiver.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v377/downloads.html#product-tabs

The speaker impedance can be changed using the Advanced Setup menu.  Read page 64 on the manual.  There is a special way to access the Advanced Setup menu.

After trying anything I found in the manual, I tried using the subwoofer pass-through instead of my receiver’s subwoofer output  (for the science.) The result is a VAST improvement. 
Great that you found an improvement/solution.  It could be that the bass analog circuit or DSP in the Yamaha is pretty crappy.