Power Amplifier - Maximum Resolution & Detail!

I am assuming some of you have experienced the following.... All else being the same in the chain, you replaced a power amplifier and started hearing more resolution and detail, perhaps a lil more in a track that you have heard a thousand times.

Ime, the higher you go up in price doesn't necessarily guarantee that you could experience the above mentioned. It seems to come down to the nitty gritty of the circuits under consideration, i.e., the black art of power delivery and analog circuit design.

What is a power amp you may have experimented with that provided the maximum detail and resolution at any price? (Not just perceived changes in tonal balance, etc).

I am hoping to shortlist a power amp based on some suggestions here for a future purchase.

P.S. If you are an ASR type of guy who thinks all power amps sound the same, this may not the right thread for you, I suppose...

deep_333

With that budget you have a lot of options! I don’t have experience with any class D options listed above, I have owned top models from Luxman, ML, Pass Labs, Krell and Accuphase. All were very good as I lean towards Class A with SS amplifiers. I know ARC reference gear has went to KT120, KT150 output tubes in their current models but I preferred the 6550 tubes in the older REF110 I use to use with my Quad ESL57’s(modded). I did experience the same feeling with the Benchmark Amps on a friend’s system where he ended up selling and finding a tube amplifier he preferred better. I ended up going to full tube system, 93db horn speakers with Miyajima OTL Mono’s, Triode Labs/Finale 300b Monday RSR mono’s, FIrst Watt amplifiers and never looked back.

Comes down to design. In simple terms, if the component has any filtering of the AC then you in general will get more details and a blacker background - think AC filter chokes. They power supply caps can make things sound like mush or can have speed and clarity. Same goes for resistors. Mills, Amtrans, Audio Note non-magnetic, etc. That is why upgrades can alter and change the sound tailored to your liking. No to mention the ability of the transformer to offer top to bottom impact on the sound of a system.

@bigkidz Theorycrafting vs successful execution... (there’s always a bigger gap than one might think).

Maximum resolution and detail should NOT impair musicality. When it does, IME, it is because resolution and detail are confused with distortion.

IMO, to maximize resolution and detail without increasing distortion requires components of the highest quality. Naturally, manufacturers don’t want to spend big bucks on 50 resistors at $10 each, and air gap capacitors at $100, so they only use these at the most critical points of the topology, if at all. So if you want that quality, be prepared to spend big big bucks or build it yourself.

DIY forever!

@terry9 , You make a good point...I tinker with cheaper kits off aliexpress, etc, but, hesitant to try and go to town on some expensive piece... (Warranty goes out the window quickly, etc). It is always hard to meet the level of controls in place they have in some factories (some fab process ironed out) vs a guy tinkering in his garage.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, I replaced my Dayton Audio APA 150 amp that was used to power my nearfield computer speakers with a new Parasound Zamp and have found the sound quality from the Dayton was night and day superior! The Dayton was $200 and the Zamp was $300.

Post removed