Preamp for McCormack DNA-125 Gold? Budget $2k

Any ideas for a preamp match for my McCormack DNA-125 Gold upgrade? It is actually just short of Gold (I didn't have $1750 to spend on the upgrade, but did have $1500, so it is close). My speakers are Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signatures (not very demanding). I have been using a CJ PV5a preamp: not the best unit, I know.

My budget is $2000 used (or new). Should I pursue a balanced preamp and then consider getting the amp upgraded with balanced IC's as well? That adds another $500 to the cost of the amp, but I could always do it at a later date.

My other option would be to sell the McCormack and get a good integrated for $3500 used. Not having heard any good ones, I don't know if this would best a decent preamp and the DNA-125 Gold.

My musical tastes tend to be classical and jazz.
chiho
Hey - whatever works! Glad to hear the Axiom is working for you. It's about as simple as a passive volume control can get (while still including "features" like a chassis), but if that's all you need for now, you're all set. I'll be happy to talk with you about the RLD-1 when the time comes.

Best regards,

Steve McCormack
SMc Audio
I have a similar issue. I have a McCormack DNA-1 Deluxe with Steve's gold upgrade. Ran an Audible Illusions for years and loved it until it fried itself and AI took a year to fix it and only returned it to me after I threatened to turn them in to the Colorado Attorney Generals consumer protection division. Went with a Rogue 99 Magnum about halfway through the AI debacle. Using Martin Logan Ascents with a Depth sub, Wadia 830 (only occaisionally) and an Apple TV/ PS Audio Digital Link III 'server" combo.

My wife hates this system since it's complicated and the Rogue has enough background noise to drive her (and me also) crazy.

I am looking for some sort of preamp or integrated that will drive these speakers and has a lot of remote switching capabilities since my DVD and television are also hooked up. I also want a dead silent background.

I've thought about a McIntosh C45 or C46 pre or a MA 6500 or 6900 integrated.

Any suggestions in the less than than $3000 range?
Why not look at the McCormack MAP, not as functional as some multi channel units but if it shares the RLD qualities it should sound great.
I am currently using a MAP-1 with a DNA-1 Rev A. I have not tried other pre-amps and so I cannot comment any further.

As a combination it is very musical, full (solid, well defined low end) and is on the warm side. It's great with many music styles. The MAP-1 is supposed to be have 99% of the sound of the RDL-1.

btw, my source is a UDP-1 deluxe. My thinking when putting the system together, was trying to get some "synergy" using components of the same manufacturer (although I don't know how one assesses system synergy in an impartial manner........). Anyway, matching components also look pleasant and my wife enjoys listening to music on it (it is always powered up).

my 2c worth - happy listening!
I highly recommend the Primare Pre30 to you, it goes for about $2K and is a terrific match in our home system with my DNA-125 platinum and Legacy Chassic HDs. Best description is of harmonious sound throughout the spectrum, highs to lows. It has both balanced and single ended inputs and outputs. Moderate gain is great match for the McCormack's high gain.