Preamps waste of money?

I've been forced to reevaluate the role of preamps. The best sound I have achieved is result of adding a stepped resistor volume control at the input stage inside of my tube amp. All other options I have tried or auditioned including both active and passive volume control(autoformer and LDRs)have "colored" the sound in one way or the other to an unacceptable degree compared the stepped attenuator at the input. Has anyone had similar experience?
dracule1
Post removed 
It`s rare when a resistor based VC is found to be less colored than LDR or transformer VC.Usually it`s the other way around.Resistors are said to have more of a signature according to many who`ve compared different types.There`ll always be exceptions to any generalization and each system is unique in terms of outcome.
Regards,
I am now using the Townshend Allagri transformer coupled passive and it is the most uncolored "preamp" I have had. But good transformer coupled ones are not cheap; it is $3000 and the top end over $12,000.
My experience is the polar opposite of yours. I find an active preamp to be the heart of a good system. Any and all attempts to use a passive or volume control on the amp or source have come up way short in my experience.

In my experience to not have a good active preamp is somewhat of a hindrance to great sound and music.

All of this is so subjective and it makes perfect sense you may think the polar opposite of myself.

Enjoy your music as you like!
Depends on the system. Sometimes a passive volume control works and sometimes you need a preamp. I am currently using a placette passive volume control in front of a musical fidelity A3cr amplifier and getting stunning results. However, I have tried the placette with other amps and gotten different results. I will say that when it does work it is the most transparent option. The placette uses stepped vishay resistors.