Primaluna ProLogue Five VS. Classe CA-150

I've been using my Classe CA-150 for awhile now and like it quite a bit but I've always thought tube amps were cool, do you think I'd be happier with the ProLogue 5?

I have a small pair of bookshelf speakers which aren't exactly efficient, and I do listen to electronic music quite a bit. I'd be okay with giving up a little bit of overall volume for more quality.

I would like to change things up and go for more warmth, bloom, romance if you will, but I don't want to be disappointed if I make the switch and find that I can't turn it up very loud and the bass becomes bloated or sloppy...

What do you guys think??
128x128b_limo
Sounds like you have some decision to make. You want to have your system sound potentially better, but you don't want to risk disappointment. Which is stronger? Your sense of adventure, or your fear of failure? You will have to wait until one urge overtakes the other urge, no one can make that decision for you. Only you can decide. Have fun.
Lol, dang it J, that was of no help!

I wanted a straightforward answer, not some deep philosophy. I may actually put that on my wall, not even kidding, "Which is stronger? Your sense of adventure, or your fear of failure?".

Honestly though, you hit the nail on the head. Problem is, I have made deceisions in this audio game that were steps sideways, or even backwards, and it also cost me money to add insult to injury.

I would have to plunk down a possible $200 in order to make this switch, and then I'd probably be looking at some upgraded tubes ($200 more).

Hmmmm, what to do, what to do!
Consider before you buy a tubed amp is how well it matches the needs of your speakers AND how well it interfaces with your pre-amp. Two items that are missing from your post and are rather essential bits of information if you expect any meaningful comments.

My experience with a Prologue 5 - I connected it to my ARC SP10 and the bass took a vacation driving my Paragon Jubilee/Gems. I inserted a PL 3 in place of the ARC and the bass returned, sorta. A bit dry and shy but OK.

While I endorse a change to tubes if possible, I wouldn't buy this PL amp without hearing it in my system first.
01-16-14: B_limo
Honestly though, you hit the nail on the head. Problem is, I have made deceisions in this audio game that were steps sideways, or even backwards, and it also cost me money to add insult to injury.

I know what you are saying B, we've all been there. The problem is that all of this is highly subjective, so what works great for one is a disappointment to another. Personally, I prefer tubes, but I know a lot of others who prefer solid state. Am I wrong? Are they wrong? Nope. Sometimes in life you just take your chances, sometimes things work out, sometimes things don't. However, just because something works for someone else doesn't mean it will work for you, and just because something works for you doesn't mean it will work for someone else.

My advice is that if you are concerned about the possibility of losing money that you cannot afford to lose, than don't take the risk and simply enjoy what you have. Do not gamble until you have the disposable income to do so.
If you can tell us what speakers you have and what the impedance and sensitivity of your speakers are we could probably help you more.

The PrimaLunas are good amps and can probably have enough power for you but likely at the cost of some control in the bass. The net is full of reviews of them you could get a good idea of whether it is worth giving them a try by reading what reviewers have to say about them with a variety of speakers.